cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Landline connection

Jimbo100
Joining in

VM tech have told me I need a new VOI phone to make my new landline connection work, due to my existing handset (stated REN 1.0 & which worked fine on Sky) having a low REN, what make should I buy??

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

goslow
Alessandro Volta

The phone connection from the back of the hub should work with most modern, standard telephones (early 2000's and later). You do not need a VOIP phone as that is something different and works in a different way.

What is the make/model of your existing phone?

What problems are you having when connecting it to the phone socket of the VM hub?

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

6 REPLIES 6

goslow
Alessandro Volta

The phone connection from the back of the hub should work with most modern, standard telephones (early 2000's and later). You do not need a VOIP phone as that is something different and works in a different way.

What is the make/model of your existing phone?

What problems are you having when connecting it to the phone socket of the VM hub?

Zak_M
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Good morning @Jimbo100

Welcome to the forums and thank you for taking the time to post. 

As goslow has explained, you won't need a VOIP phone to use the phoneline via the hub. 

Have you managed to be switched over to the new connection. 

Kind regards,

Zak_M

The landline is a cordless BT Graphite 1500 Trio. It was up until recently been perfectly happy on our previous Sky system. Since switching to VM early December and having the landline number ported across we have never had a dialling tone. Have live chat'ed and rung different VM numbers numerous times and been told 3 times that it would be fixed in next few days, but still no dial tone (& frequently re-booted the hub). Last tech guy I spoke to ran some remote online tests which he said revealed the REN of my hanset was below 1.0 and said I should buy a new VOI phone with 1.0 REN. I told him the BT baseset  stated it had a REN of 1.0 and had previously worked fine. I have since taken it to a friends house also using VM with the same router hub as mine and it worked fine (although hers was not pluigged into the back of router but into a separate conventional phone connection box (not sure of her wiring configuration). Any help advice welcomed, its not been a pleasant return to VM after ~4 years with SKY !!

Zak_M
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Thank you for coming back to me Jimbo100. 

I am going to pop you over a PM so that I can look further into this. (you can find the PM in the purple envelope on the top right of the screen) 

Kind regards,

Zak_M

goslow
Alessandro Volta

@Jimbo100 wrote:

The landline is a cordless BT Graphite 1500 Trio. It was up until recently been perfectly happy on our previous Sky system. Since switching to VM early December and having the landline number ported across we have never had a dialling tone. <snip>

I'm not sure what the VM tech was telling you about REN numbers. Usually a REN issue is having too many devices connected to a line (i.e. total REN on the line is too great). I think your problem is more likely to be tied up with your number port not completing correctly rather than the phone unit.

Hopefully @Zak_M can sort this out for you.

Yes, porting failure was my first thought (week ago!!).
Thanks.