cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I also want to change my landline number: too many scam callers

benoitlep
Joining in

Hi,

We don't really care about the number anymore, and we have just too many nuisance calls but appreciate the option of callings using a landline

How can we get this done? No online option, best seems to ask here.

Thanks

2 REPLIES 2

Jodi_S
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi benoitlep,

A warm welcome and thanks for posting on our community forums. We're sorry that you're currently experiencing a high number of nuisance calls to your landline. 

We can change your landline number; however, we need to make you aware we cannot guarantee your new number will not experience nuisance calls.

Unfortunately, we cannot control the incoming calls to your property, however we can offer you advice and put things in place to deter these nuisances calls from happening in the future. For example, putting your number as ex-directory and you can register with TPS.

For more hints and tips on how to reduce these nuisances calls you can check the link here https://www.virginmedia.com/help/landline/block-nuisance-calls.

If you would still like your number to be changed, please come back to us and we can get this arranged for you.

Kind regards Jodi. 

goslow
Alessandro Volta

@benoitlep wrote:

Hi,

We don't really care about the number anymore, and we have just too many nuisance calls but appreciate the option of callings using a landline

How can we get this done? No online option, best seems to ask here.

Thanks

Changing a number may be useful to deny access to specific/known callers but not for general nuisance calls.

Any 'new' number you get from VM will not be new but will come from a pool of recycled numbers belonging to VM. It may come with its own history of nuisance calls.

Since the nuisance calls are automatically generated in sequence, any 'new' number will eventually work its way onto the automated dialling lists of scammers etc.

Consider screening your calls instead using a device such as trueCall

https://www.truecall.co.uk/shop/truecall-call-blocker

When I used it in the past I found it to be 100% effective at screening out unwanted calls while at the same time letting known callers logged in its memory ring through uninterrupted.

Some BT phones have a lite version of trueCall built in at lower cost (but worth noting there are some other issues with BT phones and false caller ID/call logs on the newest Hub 5 at the moment).

Your existing phone may also have some features to help. If it has a 'VIP' feature (terminology varies between manufacturers) you can mark contacts in the phone address books as VIPs and give them their own unique ring tone. You can then easily answer known callers from the ring tone and ignore anything else or let it go to answering machine/voicemail.