Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

High latency and drop outs on streaming and especially gaming

xyleneuk
On our wavelength

Hi All,

Hoping this is not a duplicate post...

I've been a customer for over 10 years starting with 100MB and now on 350MB.

We had an engineer visit just before Christmas and he replaced the hub-3 with a hub-4. We had complained about Internet dropping (streaming and gaming) during the evenings. Log messages of T-3 time outs.

Doing some further research, I've set up the monitor below:https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality/share/20a5c89e98946b21270dcfd1fd44a1ae50... 

Note there is no one using Internet from 9AM to 3PM today (10/1/2023 Tuesday)

Once I get back I will grab the modem logs and up / down stream outputs and share them on here too.

I have tested  with Sam Knowe4s and the download speed is always over 350MB and even at the laptop is around 300. 

The disconnects are both wired and wireless for streaming and for gaming

Thanks for any help and advice

James...virgin.png

45 REPLIES 45

xyleneuk
On our wavelength

Hi Chris,

Thanks but the latency is driving us to despair, gaming is impossible due to the amount of lag. its inconsistent can mean an hours worth of gaming = total failure / reset / game over.

How can this be improved from your side? I already have 350MB connection and pay a lot of money for that service.

I can't continue to have the disappointment by my family and myself when gaming or working, things which need a good and low latency response time.

Not constant disconnects and failures.

These kind of drops are fine for streaming and browsing (when you have a buffer to hide the issues) but as stated above not fit for purpose.

Please please don't force me to go back to BT

xyleneuk
On our wavelength
just looked at BT fibre 500 and its £5 / month cheaper than virgin 350, no phone line needed and only a 24 month contract.

@xyleneuk wrote:
just looked at BT fibre 500 and its £5 / month cheaper than virgin 350, no phone line needed and only a 24 month contract.

Then, honestly, that’s what you need to switch to!

In answer to your earlier question, it ‘could’ (theoretically) be fixed from VM’s side, but often it involves a substantial expenditure in new equipment and other resources, which, alas, can often be regarded as ‘not worth the investment, now, maybe, next year, or the year after or…..’

Adri_G
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi xyleneuk, thanks for all the posts and replies.

We're sorry to see your frustration due to the connectivity issues you've experienced recently.

We'd hate to see you go due to this problem, we can advise based on latest checks there are no issues found on our network or service received to the hub at the minute but we're happy to investigate things further and help out.

Can you please kindly confirm if the issues lie mainly on the wireless network and do some or all your devices experience drop outs at the same time or not when this occurs?

Also, there could be a few devices with poor signal that's affecting the overall coverage and performance if long-term - can you please advise if you have any weak/blind spots in the house where the wireless connection is poor or none?

You may run our scans for these on the Connect App, please check and pop back here to tell us how you get on.

Adri
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

xyleneuk
On our wavelength

gaming laptop is wired.

legacy1
Alessandro Volta
Looks like you was DoS from 12am to 3pm but is fine after that
---------------------------------------------------------------