cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ntlworld.com email

AVJ
Joining in

Hi - I’ve had an ntlworld.com email address for years and they have suddenly stopped coming through - accessing via iPhone and Apple Mac - the message I get is the mail server is not responding - I have check via my settings and all the details are set as all the sites say they should - any ideas why this is not working? Many thanks

17 REPLIES 17

coenoby
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@ikiji wrote:

We've seen similar, except our mailserver shows the delivery as successful but the recipient (@ntlworld.com) is not receiving the emails.The recipient has also check SPAM and nothing.
A second email 1 day apart also did not arrive yet nothing indicating that the mail has been rejected.

How can we open a support ticket to provide the full details if the above redacted info isn't quite enough?

The first thing to note is that this is a completely different issue to that affecting the original poster on this thread.

I am not a Virgin Media  employee but, I as you may have seen, I did get involved in the earlier part of this thread (see my posts of 26/06/2021) and was able to determine that the original poster's problem came down to the fact that they had lost all access their old Ntlworld account because the account had been deleted.

If your @ntlworld.com recipient was able to check their email spam folder then it seems that is not the case here.

Before getting VM involved there are a few things to consider:

1) Is this a one off, or are you seeing the same situation arise with other Virgin Media email accounts? Bear in mind that if there is a problem for your @ntlworld.com customers it will also be happening with anyone who has a @VirginMedia.com, @blueyonder.co.uk or @virgin.net email account. The reason for that is that all those domains use the same Virgin Media email system, email servers and spam filtering. If you are seeing non deliveries across all your Virgin Media customers then it does need to be raised with the VM technical teams,

2) However if you are only seeing this with the one Virgin Media email account, it strongly suggests that the issue lies with that customer's  specific VirginMedia Webmail account. To explain that:

• One very common situation is where the email account holder has set up Filter Rules within their email account, possibly to deal with spam that gets through VM's spam filter. Those ad hoc filter rules often have unexpected results that cause genuine emails to be deleted as soon as they arrive. That would explain why you are seeing VM accept the email but the user is not seeing it appear in their inbox or spam folder. Just as an aside, the situation can also arise when a hacker gains access to a VM email account (sadly not an unusual event) and sets up filter rules for their own purposes.
  • Another possibility is where the email account holder is managing their VM emails via an email app on their phone, or an email client such as Microsoft Mail or MS Outlook 365 on a Windows device. In these situations it is possible that the email may arrive in their VM mailbox but for some reason their emails are not being syncronised / downloaded to their mail app or client.  That can be down either to an issue specific to their VM email account or to issues with the email app or client the customer is using. Either way, once again that would explain the symptoms you are experiencing.

To cut to the chase:

If you are only having problems delivering to the specific email account in question, then a better and speedy way forward would be to suggest to your customer with the @ntlworld.com account to post their problem on this forum. One of the many knowledgable forum members would be able to give your customer clear step by step advice on how they can determine whether your customer can resolve the problem themselves or whether it needs VM to get involved.

However, as I said earlier, if you are seeing non deliveries across all your Virgin Media customers then it does need to be raised with the VM technical teams. If necessary one the VIPs on the forum can escalate this to the Forum Team (VM employees who support this forum) to arrange that.

I hope that makes sense, sorry to go on at length.

Coenoby

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media.

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Thanks Coenoby

Yeah, all emails to this recipient's ntlworld.com are "claimed" by the prospective customer not to be received. Not got anyone we know of with emails on the other domains you listed.

It's rather difficult to put the onus on a prospective client to troubleshoot when their initial response is "but we receive email from 'everyone' else". Well aware that it's a difficult one to triage.

Do you happen to know the VM tech support contact process.

Thanks

coenoby
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@ikiji 

The process on the forum is that the Forum Team I mentioned in my post passes technical issues on to the relevant team in VM . They will pick up this thread in day or so.

I appreciate your problem but the fact is that your customer would be better off coming to the forum. The solution could well be in their own hands.

In any event as this is a one off case the tech team would probably want the VM account holder to check their email account for the  basic easy solution before they will do any real analysis.

Ironically, this forum often sees the situation where a VM customer blames VM when the cause lies elsewhere.

Coenoby

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media.

coenoby
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@ikiji 

Apologies, my last post was just a quick response when I was out and about.

Now I'm back home and looking at it again I think I should have explained that as a "Community Forum" the first responders are normally VM customers such as myself. However, in many cases we can at least identify exactly what the problem is and give the VM guys a head start in getting the problem resolved.

In many cases though input from non VM staff can give posters the information they need to resolve the issues themselves without involving VM staff.

At the moment there is not sufficient detail from the VM email account holder to determine whether this case needs action by VM or not.

Coenoby.

Thanks Coenoby,

We run mail servers and get that side of the equation, and it's the fact the all responses signify the mail has been received by our customer's NTLWorld recipient.
Unfortunately, our customer doesn't know the recipient other than it was a business enquiry which they replied to but the NTLWorld user claims there's no mail in their inbox or SPAM. Getting this "contact" to then take the time to reach out to VM is a big ask, when they were just enquiring about services from our customer.

We can happily supply the header information to a VM technical team member to see if they can find the mail in logs as that would confirm either way.

coenoby
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@ikiji wrote:

We run mail servers and get that side of the equation, and it's the fact the all responses signify the mail has been received by our customer's NTLWorld recipient.
Unfortunately, our customer doesn't know the recipient other than it was a business enquiry which they replied to but the NTLWorld user claims there's no mail in their inbox or SPAM. Getting this "contact" to then take the time to reach out to VM is a big ask, when they were just enquiring about services from our customer.

We can happily supply the header information to a VM technical team member to see if they can find the mail in logs as that would confirm either way.

I have escalated your post to the Forum Team so one of them should contact you via this thread hopefully today.

I hope this gets resolved for you, however it is a great pity that the VM (ntlworld) customer is not available to check things at their end.

Coenoby

Thanks Coenoby

We've asked our customer to reach out to their prospective client ... we'll see what they say.

Hopefully a VM tech team member may be able to check logs based on the data we can supply them.

Really appreciate your help - thanks

Hi ikiji thanks for posting and welcome to our community.

I'm really sorry to hear your client is having issues receiving emails.  I am going to send you a private message.  Please look out for the purple envelope in the top right of your screen.

Regards

Lee