cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why does virgin media force users to use insecure passwords?

Dontwantone
Tuning in

signing into my virgin media and email only let's you have 10 letter or numbers, it also doesnt allow special characters.

This is not acceptable

12 REPLIES 12

'we pay for this'

actually you don't, the email service is a free offering.  you get what you don't pay for in this instance, something not very good.

the whole password thing has been argued on here many times over the years. i haven't used an isp email address for virtually 2 decades. if you leave the isp you lose access anyway, so why even use it. plenty of 'free' alternatives out there. 

the time and effort migrating elsewhere is very rewarding in the end.  

用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Dontwantone wrote:

Also the password limit used to a pathetic 8 characters, which can be hacked in minutes, but they managed to upgrade that to the now pathetic 10 characters.  VM is simply not keeping users data safe.

Virgin Media have rate limiting protections in place to make such attacks expensive; still would not use their email service for anything important as there are better free and paid options available.

-- 
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more
Have I helped? Click helpful.jpeg Mark as Helpful Answer and solved, or use thanks.jpeg Kudos to say thanks

I dont consider it as a free offering, but as something  included within the overall package.

Have already started takes to be rid of it, together with VM.

The my virgin media login also suffers from the same problem.

I dont believe that rate limiting is a solution as if the site was compromised the hacker would be free to challenge the offline database to his hearts content