cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Webmail unlocked, iOS loop

RickC99
On our wavelength

VM locked my email account yesterday. For many reasons it took a while today to finally get my password changed by a VM staff member and regain access via webmail. For security I then changed the password she set myself (but could only get an 8 character password accepted rather than the 10 character one I wanted to use... whatever, at least I managed to change it).

I have not been able to regain access to mail on my iPad or iPhone using Apple Mail. I even tried deleting the mail account on my iPhone and recreating from scratch but every time I get caught in a 'Looking up account > Verifying > No password provided for "blueyonder.co.uk". Please go to Mail Account Settings and enter a password' loop.

I've tried time and time again to no avail. Why does it keep saying 'No password provided' when I've entered the exact same password I used for webmail?

15 REPLIES 15

RickC99
On our wavelength

The iOS settings (Settings > Mail > Accounts > blueyonder.co.uk > Account > <my blueyonder.co.uk email address> Account) I am using for Apple Mail on both iPhone (v14.8.1) and iPad (v15.4.1) are:

Name: My name
Email: <My full blueyonder.co.uk email address> (which hasn't changed in over 20 years)
Description: blueyonder.co.uk

Incoming mail: imap.virginmedia.com
Username: <My full blueyonder.co.uk email address>
Password: The one I changed... and which works with webmail
Port: 993
SSL: On

Outgoing mail: smtp.virginmedia.com
Username: <My full blueyonder.co.uk email address>
Password: The one I changed... and which works with webmail
Port: 465
SSL: On

I've checked these settings time and time again and they seem correct from what I've seen here on VM and elsewhere. Each time I get this:

iPad.png

RickC99
On our wavelength

So, a recap, many hours on....

Even though I checked the textbox to keep me signed in to this forum... I had to sign in again.

Even though the image I posted was 'checked', apparently the same image needs checking again and again, every time I refresh the post.

But still no reply or explanation or resolution.

Surely if VM just blocks a VM email account (even though it's because of its own skittish false alarms) then it should provide a clear path to resolve its own error(s) rather than let customers have to try to work out how to fix it? For no given reason I've had VM disable my primary email account (working for 20+ years) and, 2 days on, still be unable to undo the damage that VM has caused.

Also, for god's sake, please stop with the constant popups asking for feedback. You wouldn't want my feedback...

I'm so frustrated by my whole experience of what VM has caused for no reason other than the nonsense of its false positives.

Why don't you DM me, VM, to sort out the almighty mess YOU have caused?

RickC99
On our wavelength

I've noticed that since my VM mail account was blocked then unblocked that I'm no longer getting daily 'dating site' spam in my VM webmail... which is good.

I still haven't been able to get either my iPhone or iPad connected through Apple Mail to VM email... which is bad.

I got my email working again.

Customer Support reset my password.

I could then log in and check everything was working ok and change the password to my own choosing.

I deleted the VM email account on my iphone, restarted the iphone and successfully added the VM account again.

All working again.

RickC99
On our wavelength

I'm pleased for you. Unfortunately nothing has changed for me.

I can sign in and out of Virgin Media webmail fine using my blueyonder.co.uk email address and password but cannot create a working Apple Mail account linked to my blueyonder.co.uk email account using the same email address and password no matter how many times I try. All I get is the same 'No password provided' loop.

Hi RickC99,

Thank you for your post. I'm very sorry to hear about the issue you're having with your email address. 

Just to check, have you attempted to remove the email address from all devices and attempt to link the email address?

^Martin

RickC99
On our wavelength

Hi Martin,

Thanks for the reply. My VM email is working fine as webmail in Firefox on my Windows 10 laptop.

My VM email is not working in Apple Mail on either my iPhone or iPad.

On my iPhone I removed the VM email account completely and tried adding it back again to Apple Mail several time - restarting my iPhone each time after removing the email account - but to no avail... I just get the No password provided loop, even though I've double- and triple checked the password (and the imap/smtp settings).

On my iPad I haven't yet removed the VM email account completely but instead kept trying the new password that I changed successfully. Originally the Apple Mail client showed 'optional' for SMTP but I have now changed this manually to check I have the correct username, password, port and SSL settings. The Apple Mail client still shows the old messages ('cos I haven't removed the account) but the lnbox is not updated and I cannot send mail.

Any advice? Should I remove the VM email account from both iOS devices, restart them both and try to add the VM account again, using the password that works with webmail?

Paulina_Z
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @RickC99,

Thank you for coming back to us in regards to your ongoing webmail issue! Sorry to hear that this is still ongoing.

Have you been able to access your mailbox without any issues when using other devices? 

Please follow the advise my colleague suggested and attempt to remove the Virgin Media email from both devices and add them back on to see if with will repair is loop you've been experiencing.

Keep us updated,

Thank you.

Paulina_Z
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

RickC99
On our wavelength

Hi Paulina_Z,

Thank you for your reply.

Yes, I have been able to access Virgin Media email using webmail via Firefox on my Windows 10 laptop... which is how I've received notification of a reply to my posts here.

(With respect, I've already mentioned this 3 times before in this thread... so this is the fourth.)

Your Forum Team colleague Martin_N didn't respond to my reply to him... but I'll now remove the Virgin Media email account from both iPhone (for the second time) and iPad (for the first time). I will post back with the result.

Regards,

Rick