cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrade Issue

paulh_nwuk
On our wavelength

Been on Virgin 500 broadband for almost 18 months.  Has worked perfectly fine.  Incoming speed to the router always 500+.  Contract was almost up.   And so too was my Sky contract.  So, i decided to take the plunge and 'upgrade' to the Ultimate Volt and, if it all goes okay, to leave Sky.

The discussion with the sales lady was somewhat hard work but I was prepared for that as i have read lots of community postings.
Engineer arrived on time.  Installed my Virgin TV main box and I also had two mini boxes installed. Engineer was excellent (great ambassador).

But instead of my incoming router speed going up to 1Gb, it went down to about 200 😞
Five days later now, it is currently varying between 350-500.

Also, I only get wi-fi in half my house so i used the connect app to test, saved the results and contacted Virgin to discuss both the incoming speed issue and possible wifi pod(s). 
Virgin lady said that my she could see the issue and that my order had been built wrongly(?) on their back system(?) and to contact them again in a few days as it should resolve itself. 
And because it was built wrongly, she couldn't order me a wifi pod. 
True or just bs?  Who knows?

My worry is that they won't even look at it.  And the clock is ticking.  I now have [less than] 14 days to cancel Virgin and run back to Sky.    Tick tock tick tock.

Do I have any chance at all of:-
(a) actually getting the speed that I was sold (1gb) or
(b) of getting a wifi pod or two to help the wifi reach the rest of my large detached house?

** Hopefully a Virgin staff member will help ... please 🙂

PS: Luckily for me, it looks like the order really was cocked up in the back room or whatever.  There is no new contract showing for me.  My contract says I am still on a broadband-only package  and the bill is about £40 p.m.  Woohoo 🙂
In reality, I am getting the FULL package of tv channels(230?) in three rooms and a virgin landline to boot.
Maybe I should delete this posting, keep quiet and just put up with the 500 broadband as [typing this] I've just realised that I'm actually getting a fantastic deal on the tv channels etc  lol 🙂

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

UPDATE:-

... and the Virgin technician came round exactly when they said he would.  And he was great.  He found the cable to my hub to be faulty and changed it for [made] a new one ... and my incoming speed instantly quadrupled 😀

He also replaced my hub whilst he was onsite as he said it was running too hot (thinks the fan may have stopped working?).  So, I'm now on Hub 5.
He also ordered me a second wifi pod whilst onsite. 
(For the record, my existing wifi pod works perfectly with my new Hub 5).

Gotta be honest, I've been with Sky for 20+ years and have never had such good service with them. 
Moved/moving over to Virgin simply because price was so much cheaper (ultimate volt).  At least for the first 18 months anyway. 
After that, we'll just have to see who offers the best deal.  As we all do these days.

There are lots of horror stories on here where Virgin have not given good service.
So, I thought it only fair to praise them when they do well.
Myself, I'm delighted with the outcome 😀👍😀

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

5 REPLIES 5

jb66
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

You will never get more than 500mb over wifi using a hub4, it can't do that type of speeds to a single device 

paulh_nwuk
On our wavelength

Clearly.

• Hence why I stated "incoming" speed several times. Ie the wired speed 'incoming' TO my router.  Not from it.  Nothing to do with WiFi.

The WiFi signal strength issue in half my house is a secondary matter, solely due to size of my house.  

I could easily buy an extender or mesh system but am hoping to get WiFi pod(s) since virgin do offer those for free.

paulh_nwuk
On our wavelength

UPDATE: After spending literally hours on Virgin chat getting bounced around, I finally got through to someone who was prepared to deal with the issues. 
They tested the line to my modem and said it was clearly running very slowly.  Yay, result.
They booked a technician to come and sort it out.  

... and ordered me a wifi pod too.

Well done them 🙂  🙂

FIngers all crossed now that thecnican turns up and can sort it.  Feeling hopeful 🙂

UPDATE:-

... and the Virgin technician came round exactly when they said he would.  And he was great.  He found the cable to my hub to be faulty and changed it for [made] a new one ... and my incoming speed instantly quadrupled 😀

He also replaced my hub whilst he was onsite as he said it was running too hot (thinks the fan may have stopped working?).  So, I'm now on Hub 5.
He also ordered me a second wifi pod whilst onsite. 
(For the record, my existing wifi pod works perfectly with my new Hub 5).

Gotta be honest, I've been with Sky for 20+ years and have never had such good service with them. 
Moved/moving over to Virgin simply because price was so much cheaper (ultimate volt).  At least for the first 18 months anyway. 
After that, we'll just have to see who offers the best deal.  As we all do these days.

There are lots of horror stories on here where Virgin have not given good service.
So, I thought it only fair to praise them when they do well.
Myself, I'm delighted with the outcome 😀👍😀

Thanks for the updates @paulh_nwuk - very useful to those who quietly read out Community Forum

I'm pleased to hear that this has now been resolved.

Do please feel free to come back to us if you have any further issues that require our attention.

Kindest regards,

David_Bn