cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What to do with painfully slow upload speeds?

nb321
Tuning in

My speeds at home used to be decent - around 100-150MBps upload and 10-20MBps upload, then I had a run of about 6 weeks where the upload speed was almost always under 1MBps.

Finally went back to normal, then a few weeks ago the upload speed kept dropping so significantly throughout the day that voice calls on Teams were a nightmare. e.g. upload speed would go from 20 down to 0.2.

I call Virgin and every time I'm told "engineers are in the area and will fix it in 24-48 hours", but it never seems to happen. Even when they actually message to say the issue is fixed, the speeds continue to fluctuate and drop. There never seems to be a fix. 

I told Virgin I couldn't handle it any more, as working from home was impossible, and they gave me a free upgrade to Gig1 and a new Hub 4. Absolutely no difference and I do multiple speed tests and get random download speeds between 5-300, but only 0.1-0.2 upload speeds for majority of the time (it has hit 30 upload once, which is close to the advertised speed).

Am I the only person getting such terrible upload speeds? Will this ever be fixed or do I need to jump to a standard line with another company offering minimum speeds of 73 download and 19 upload? 

1 REPLY 1

Natalie_L
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi nb321,

Thank you for reaching out to us here on the Community. 

I am very sorry to hear you are experiencing issues with your service, we will be able to help. 

I have taken a look from our side and can see your equipment does appear to  be running out side of specification. 

With this being the case, we will need to investigate further. I will pop you over a private message to confirm a few details and we can go from there. 

Speak soon, 

Nat