cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BLOODY DISMAL !!!

Steve1701
Rising star

OK, I posted before Christmas about my dismal BB speeds.

I've been recovering from throat cancer so I haven't really been in any mood to keep checking, but over the last few weeks, I've been keeping a wary eye on what I'm getting.

I'm on what's laughingly called the 'Ultimate Oomph Bundle' so:

V6 + additional box (unused) / M600 fibre broadband / Talk anymore anytime / Oomph unlimited data sim (unused)

Alas, it's anything but ... I've done the usual: Switch off switch on, unplug plugin, yadda yadda, I use extremely expensive cables for everything audio/visual, yet same ole same ole.

Currently, I'm getting approx 280 on DL & 38 UL which re DL is HALF I am stupidly paying for! ...Last week I got the dreaded email (which IMO should come looking like ye old'e black envelope sent to inform someone of a death) saying I could upgrade my Hub3 - NEVER GOING TO HAPPEN - I'll cheerfully lop my hands off with a rabid-infested rusty blade before I'll have that piece of junk.

So ... I'd like something done about my speed in short order, or I might just go off into the sunset, along with any early dump fee they think they will be getting.

Steve

Utrinque Paratus
37 REPLIES 37

Hi newapollo ,

Thank you for commenting on my health. Alas, I still need further treatment.

RE test: I normally use the Ookla speed test via my browser, I normally use Chrome, but I've tried the test on Edge, I have also tried the app, but there seems little difference.

RE location: I've tried the three nearest locations to me with similar results.

RE Avast: I've tried the test with Avast installed (Avast New) and without, and frustratingly there is still hardly any difference.

When testing, there's nothing else connected and the connection is as stated, via a 1.5m CAT 7 ethernet cable. As for testing whilst in Safe Mode, I'm confused as to why I would, I would never run day to day in safe mode, so the results would be moot. It's no good saying I'm getting 599.99 Mbps in safe mode & only 215 Mbps when not in safe mode.

There's clearly some issue regarding the DL speed, I've only been averaging approximately a third of what I've been promised for a good while now (and am still paying for) ... I didn't complain earlier due to having treatment, and tbh I was in no real condition when at home to care one way or the other. I wasn't sure re further treatment after having both Radiotherapy & Chemotherapy, but I still need three more Radiotherapy sessions to complete my treatment, which as I've said, begins next week, then it's the long road to recovery (fingers crossed not too long) ...

Given everything at my end seems to be working, it has to be an issue with what VM is sending (if that sounds right). I've run the speed test yet again and I'm under 200 Mbps .... Yet again 😧

Apologies for rambling on, it's just frustrating.

Steve

Utrinque Paratus

Testing in Safe Mode (With Networking) proves if it is a software issue, which is out of VM's control.

Ahhh, righto Carl 

Well, I'll do a test in Safe Mode and check the readings.

Fingers crossed.

😁

Steve

Utrinque Paratus

Hi steve

All the issues you're suffering I've been through and all the processes they ask you to do are mostly cosmetic and will not resolve your problems.

This issue is with the rubbish routers they supply. As I've said many times their broadband on the outside is the Rolls Royce but inside it's a Reliant Robin not capable to consistently distribute the stated speeds you pay for inside the house.

The only way you'll solve the issue is to buy a mess router and put the Virgin router into modem mode. I did this 2 month's ago I bought an Asus router, maybe look them up. I get the speeds i've paid for to all corners of the house and without any POD's.

It's a simple process to change and you'll find a lot of folk have gone down this route. There are some good experts on here that will explain how to set-up a new router by putting your Virgin router into "Modem Mode" you just need to follow the process that they say, it's relatively simple to do and should be done in 15 minutes or so. Once done all your issues will disappear and you can relax.

Regards

@Gandalf2 wrote:

Hi steve

All the issues you're suffering I've been through and all the processes they ask you to do are mostly cosmetic and will not resolve your problems.

This issue is with the rubbish routers they supply. As I've said many times their broadband on the outside is the Rolls Royce but inside it's a Reliant Robin not capable to consistently distribute the stated speeds you pay for inside the house.

The only way you'll solve the issue is to buy a mess router and put the Virgin router into modem mode. I did this 2 month's ago I bought an Asus router, maybe look them up. I get the speeds i've paid for to all corners of the house and without any POD's.

It's a simple process to change and you'll find a lot of folk have gone down this route. There are some good experts on here that will explain how to set-up a new router by putting your Virgin router into "Modem Mode" you just need to follow the process that they say, it's relatively simple to do and should be done in 15 minutes or so. Once done all your issues will disappear and you can relax.

Regards

This is over a wired connection, which the HUBs are capable of providing full speed on M600, regardless of being in Router or Modem mode.

HI guys,

@Gandalf2  -  As Carl says, I'm on a wired connection, so it doesn't really apply to me, but useful for future reference should I make any position / location changes, so thanks for that.

@carl_pearce  -  When running the speed test in Safe Mode with Networking, what would I be looking for, better speed?

Thanks for the continued help, much appreciated.

Steve

Utrinque Paratus

@Steve1701 wrote:

HI guys,

@Gandalf2  -  As Carl says, I'm on a wired connection, so it doesn't really apply to me, but useful for future reference should I make any position / location changes, so thanks for that.

@carl_pearce  -  When running the speed test in Safe Mode with Networking, what would I be looking for, better speed?

Thanks for the continued help, much appreciated.

Yes, you are looking for your expected speed (539 - 652Mbps).

Hi Carl ,

OK ... I've run the speed test in safe mode with networking:

The DL scans all started in the very high 500's, levelling out at around the mid 400's by the end of the scan.

The DL scans once out of safe mode are still around the 260-280 Mbps mark.

Out of curiosity, I downloaded the Ookla app and ran a few scans: The DL averages out around 450 Mbps.

Steve

Utrinque Paratus

@Steve1701 wrote:

Hi Carl ,

OK ... I've run the speed test in safe mode with networking:

The DL scans all started in the very high 500's, levelling out at around the mid 400's by the end of the scan.

The DL scans once out of safe mode are still around the 260-280 Mbps mark.

Out of curiosity, I downloaded the Ookla app and ran a few scans: The DL averages out around 450 Mbps.

Ok, the fact there is a difference in speed in safe mode suggests there is a service/application running causing slower speeds.

When you go into task manager, then the start up tab, there will be several applications that start when your computer boots.

For troubleshooting purposes you should right click and disable each one in turn, with a reboot in between, to determine which one is causing the issue.

Another thing you can try is monitoring network / CPU usage in task manager when actioning a speed test, to check for specific applications.

Hi Carl 

I've done as you suggested ... Theres nothing but the 'windows security notification icon' active in Start Up now.

I've got rid of Avast & the Grammarly app, both seem to have improved the speed, albeit only slightly, especially page loading, but it still looks like theres some other issue going on.

My last week of radiotherapy for my throat cancer starts tomorrow, so I'll check again once I'm done 🤞

Thanks for all your help and patience, it's much appreciated Sir. 

Steve

Utrinque Paratus