cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Faulty router, complete lack of support for the problem from Virgin Media

NickC4555
On our wavelength

For the last three months my internet connection drops out for a few minutes 2 to 3 times a day. Not the wi-fi, the internet connection. I have tested this by disconnecting all other equipment and using a wired connection to the router, it is definitely that piece of equipment causing the problem. There are no local service issues.

The faults team have told me there is nothing they can do unless I contact them while it is offline. Given that it takes at least 10 minutes to speak to an engineer and the fault only lasts for about 3 minutes at a time, that is a physical impossibility, but no matter how many times I explained this, I got the same reply: there is nothing they can do. I thought the cancellations team might have more leverage, but no, it seems Virgin Media doesn't care about losing a £58 a month internet account.

I have been with Virgin for over 4 years, subscribing to the most expensive service available throughout this time. This is the first time I have called support, I should be exactly the sort of customer the company would want to retain, but it seems not. The router is obviously faulty, it would be a simple task to replace it, but Virgin would rather lose the account than put one in the post. The lack of customer care is staggering, Virgin doesn't deserve to be in business with this attitude.

25 REPLIES 25

Is there any information there that might galvanise the faults team into accepting there is a problem somewhere? Sorry, I have no idea what a "T3" error means, I'm not an engineer.

Well so far it's a wall of red - Which means either the connection is borked or ICMP Echo requests are being blocked at the router!

------------------------------------------------------------------
Hub 3 - Modem Mode - TP-Link Archer C7

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
It is showing a wall of red. Assuming it is on and working, that's often because the Hub is set to not respond to ICMP pings.

Or are you in modem mode with your own router ?- that may need be set to accept them.

Usual place to look is...
• Navigate to routers web interface
• Advanced Settings > Advanced > Ping > activate the "Respond to ICMP echo requests sent to WAN IP" - or similar.

Or the i.p address you put in the BQM settings is incorrect or changed - double check that as well

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Sorry, that doesn't mean anything to me, I'm not technical, I'm just a regular home user trying to get my connection fixed when Virgin support has walked away from my issue.

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Are you in modem mode with your own router?

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

The monitor is working now. It was disabled in my Orbi.

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Ahhh you have the Orbis (nice kit!) - I assume then that you are in modem mode.

I would first change the cable connecting it to the Hub with a new Cat6 one.

--------------------
John
--------------------

Thanks, I ordered a new one just to be on the safe side, it will be here tomorrow.

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
OK - report back then 🙂

--------------------
John
--------------------