cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VM Hub 3 and Asus XT8

petertow415
Tuning in

Hi, Sorry, but I read all of the other threads and still have an issue

My VM Hub 3 was installed yesterday. Initially I turned off wifi on the Hub 3 connected to my ASus which was in AP mode and everything worked fine. 

I really wanted to use the Asus as the router as it seems more powerful/flexible than the VM Hub

I set the VMHub to Modem Mode. had ethernet from port 1 to the WAN port on my Asus (as it was before) . Left it a few minutes and then turned the Asus back to Router mode.  I consistently got No Internet connected on the Asus config app and the LAN IP was showing as a local address (192.168.x.x) The WAN setting s were DHCP

Years ago when I last had VM, I had to spoof the MAC address of the VM router - is this still the case? Also should I be using Bridge Mode not Router mode on my Asus

For clarity, I have 2 ASUS XT8 and and XT4 in AirMesh config. Due to the house layout I have a 10metre Cat 6 between the VM Hub and the Asus XT8 - This works fine in the original config.

Should mention when I put the VM Hub in modem mode, I logged in via 192.168.100.1 and it showed that it was connected to the internet and Telephony OK, so the problem seems to be the connection to the Asus 

Obviously something I am doing wrong - so looking for guidance please

13 REPLIES 13

Connect only a PC to the hub change to modem mode wait a bit then power off the hub for 2mins when the hub starts up disable/enable the NIC on your PC or unplug replug the Ethernet till you get internet connect this PC to your Asus and login change it to router mode go to internet/WAN setting and use the MAC clone option to copy your PC MAC to Asus now connect the WAN port to the hub and it will work.

If not working get a new cable for the Asus to hub

3m - transparent - 1 pieces - CAT.6 Ethernet Lan Network Cable RJ45 | 10/100/1000/Mbit/s | Patchcabe...

---------------------------------------------------------------

Thank you 

Finally working !!!!!

Initially the replacement hub was giving the same errors

As suggested, I tried a different ethernet cable between the Hub3 and my XT8  with no change

Fortunately someone else had mentioned using the MAC clone and it sprung into life.

I retested with my original ethernet and again no internet at my Asus XT8, which is really odd as that cable had been working fine when the Hub 3 was doing the routing and the Asus was in AP Mode

The joys of IP/Internet/routers etc !!!

John,

thanks for the FAQ, worked for me. I hope you don't mind but I thought some steps could be made a little more obvious:

This only needs to be done the first time you connect the router/Mesh to the VM hub

1. connect the new router/Mesh device to HUB 3 with a suitable RJ45/Ethernet cable
    1. Switch on and configure the basic router/Mesh settings
    2. router/Mesh WAN port set to be in Automatic IP i.e. DHCP (& Nat) mode (probably pre-set that way anyway)
  2. Once working as a Wifi access point, switch off the new router/Mesh unit and unplug the RJ45/Ethernet cable from the router/Mesh end
    1. leave the other end of the RJ45/ethernet cable connected to the Hub 3
    2. unplug all other RJ45/Ethernet cables from Hub 3
  3. Using the same RJ45/Ethernet cable which was router/Mesh connected, connect the free end to your PC (connecting PC to Hub 3)
    1. On the PC, browse to 192.168.0.1 and put the VM Hub into modem mode
    2. https://www.virginmedia.com/help/virgin-media-hub-modem-mode
    3. Wait for the base light to turn magenta/purple (on a Hub3 - but not on a Hub4!)
    4. the light may appear more red than magenta, see here
    5. Alternatively, Refresh browser session 192.168.0.1 until you're able to logon and use the Hub 3.0 Status overview to confirm that Modem mode is set
  4. Once Modem mode is confirmed, the VM hub “MUST” be powered off.
  5. Unplug the RJ45/Ethernet cable from your PC, leave the HUB 3 end connected
  6. Switch your router/Mesh unit on and make sure it’s fully initialised (leave for 5 min)
    1. You can use the ASUS app (on mobile or through browser mode via 192.168.50.1) Network Map will report disconnected
  7. Once the router/Mesh unit is up, connect the WAN port on router/Mesh device to the VM Hub using the cable you had plugged into the PC
  8. Power up the VM hub and wait for the Hub to initialise (I recommend setting a timer for 10 minutes and walk away)
    1. you should get a connection after 5 - 10 minutes
    2. You can use the ASUS app (on mobile or through browser mode via 192.168.50.1) Network Map to monitor Internet Status if you can't stop yourself
  9. Use the ASUS App to connect any other Mesh units to the first one. 
  10. Don't forget to connect your other RJ45/Ethernet connected devices to the new router/Mesh device

Once the Hub is running in Modem Only mode, and the router/Mesh network is online, the following IP addresses will be accessible from any browser inside your private network:

ASUS router/Mesh: 192.168.50.1 

Virgin Media Hub:    192.168.100.1