cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Super Hub 3 Free Upgrade

janeleach
Tuning in

Hi I have tried to set up  the Virgin connect app and it states I need the Hub 3 which I can upgrade to for free but it will not allow me to order it, I can see that others on here  have had the same issue can someone from Virgin please help..Thanks..

22 REPLIES 22

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Dont tag onto an active thread - start your own

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

A late update to this thread:
Our new Virgin Hub 3 arrived promptly  Virgin_Broadband_Discover_Hub3.0.pdf (virginmedia.com)
First: All network equipment powered off
Next: Connected Hub 3 with a single Cat6 cable to our Unify Dream Machine Amazon.co.uk : unifi dream   (as was the Super Hub 2)
Next: Changed some Hub 3 settings such as switched to "router only" (as was the Super Hub 2) 
Finally: Tested our improved internet fibre connection speed: ↓220/↑20Mbps with the Hub 3  (instead of ↓85/↑5Mbps with the Super Hub 2)    

Thank you very much Virgin Media. (Tharmi & the technical team)

Note: No change was needed to our Unify Dream Machine (An all-in-one enterprise-grade router & security gateway with an integrated Wi-Fi access point.)
 Ubiquiti Networks UDM UniFi Dream Machine User Manual UDM Quick Start Guide

The END of this story:

Now moved from Virgin Media M200 @ £42/month (very reasonable) but only 220Mb/s download & 15Mb/s upload (using HFC= Hybrid Fibre Coaxial)
to Giganet @ £40/mth up to 900Mb/s download AND UPLOAD speeds with current  560 down & 660 up (using FTTP in Portsmouth by CityFibre)
So I have returned all my Virgin Broadband Routers for some-one else to enjoy (My Super Hub, Super Hub 2 & Hub 3 obtained above)

I cannot comment on the Giganet free router (£130) Technicolor DGA2231 Ultra-Broadband Gateway with VOIP for old analogue phone handsets
because we use our own router (£260) Ubiquiti UDM (Universal Dream Machine) for improved control & security (firewalling)
as with FTTP (Fibre To The Premise) you get an ONT terminator box (Optical Network Terminal) which converts the fibre cable signal into ethernet (Cat6)
so you can use any router you want (As long as it handles 1Gb/s+ and as long as you are willing to learn how to configure it on your own/Google) 
But if you need to keep your landline as well, for £40 Giganet will provide a configured ATA (Analog Telephone Adapter) box to convert ethernet (100Mb/s Cat5e) to analogue telephone so you can plug in your old telephone handset and keep receiving calls for £5/mth