cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ORANGE LIGHT ON HUB 3

DPJ
On our wavelength

Good morning, My virgin WiFi Hub 3.0 has got a constant orange  light and our internet is working intermittently. I have tried a pinhole reset twice now but the light remains orange. Are there any tests that forum staff can run to check whether the router is working correctly. Thank you 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
What is being reported on the “free & automated” Service Status number - 0800 561 0061 - which usually gives the most up to date info. and tells you of more local issues down to street cab/ postcode level.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

8 REPLIES 8

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Ignore the orange light itis not indicating anything other than a failing/fading 1p LED.

Re the issues... Are they only evident on wifi connections or do you see them at the same times on devices connected on ethernet cables? If you don't know, can you check to help diagnose whether it is just a wifi issue or it could be network connection/Hub related?

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

DPJ
On our wavelength

Thank you for responding to my post. I did read other posts whereby in itself the orange light was of no real concern. Over the last couple of days I have lost internet for short periods, sometimes I couldn't get access to certain websites, this forum being one of them. This morning I logged into the router and rebooted it. This took an age (approx 20 minutes). I have run  www.samknows.com and having run several speed tests shows consistently that the speed to my router is about 384 mbps but speed to my desktop which has line of site and is about 10 foot from the router has recorded between 4 mbps and the last test 15 minutes ago 43.7 mbps. I have just done the test with an ethernet cable between router and desktop which shows router download 384 mbps  and desktop download 366 mbps. All devices in this household are usually connected via wifi. All is working as it should at the moment so I shall continue to monitor and see what happens.

DPJ
On our wavelength

Further to my last post I have just tested my hub 3 on the VM website. It has showed to following info despite saying there were no problems in my postcode. 

Looks like there’s still an issue with your connection

We’re looking into it. Check back here after 23 hours and if there’s still an issue we’ll help you book a technician.

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
What is being reported on the “free & automated” Service Status number - 0800 561 0061 - which usually gives the most up to date info. and tells you of more local issues down to street cab/ postcode level.

--------------------
John
--------------------

DPJ
On our wavelength

I phoned VM first thing this morning. They told me I had to many devices connected to my router and I could upgrade my package to the M500 on a further 18 month contract. This was declined. We went through shutting down the router and various other checks and I was even offered a WIFI pod free for 1 month and then either send it back or pay £8 pounds a month. Since this morning my broadband has been stable so fingers crossed whatever the problem was has resolved itself.

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
You didnt call the 0800 number then. That doest get picked up - it just reports faults/fix times in your location.

Calling the VM helpline just got you straight into the upselling spiel

--------------------
John
--------------------

DPJ
On our wavelength

Hi John, I did try the 0800 number which reported no faults in my area. It then referred me to the virgin media app. I thought I'd try the VM helpline as a last shot of the dice. That proved a waste of time. I have concluded that I shall move on at the end of my current contract to another ISP. Thank you for the advice you offered.

Dave

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
OK - but to clarify. You connected on an ethernet cable and got a stable internet connection at the expected speeds. Is that correct? If so... it suggests that your issues mat be purely related to the wifi connectivity. If that is the case - it may still be an issue with Hub - but take a look at this first,

For wifi only issues... On a Hub3/4/5, you could first try separating the SSID's of the 2.4 and 5 GHz wifi bands by renaming them in the settings At the same time switch off "channel optimisation/Smart wifi” and “ apply and save the settings. All wifi devices will now need reconnecting to the best SSID at each location. Also use a wifi scanning App to find the best wifi channels to use (just select and use channels 1,6,11 on 2.4GHz) - this often helps Hub users get better wifi performance - so its worth trying - but its still no substitute for getting better kit 🙂

To address the wifi issues, VM now supply “wifi Pods” (no longer doing cheap and cheerless and poor value “boosters”). However, their Pods are only free to customers on the 1GB, Volt (or old Ultimate Oomph) packages - is that you? If so they are worth trying - they should work for you. VM Wifi is now “guaranteed” to 20 Mbps/room it’s now called… Wifi Max
See if anything in here helps….

https://www.virginmedia.com/help/wifi-max

You call 0800 064 3850 to order the first one after scanning for blackspots using the connect App.- or just wait here for a VM person to respond in a day or two and they will sort the first one for you. If you do call dont get fobbed off by the offshore CS agents' saying you aren’t eligible it will be £5 or £8 month - you are… and it wont be - just look on the webpage.

If not free to you… you will be charged £8/month (note - BT charge £10/mo for their whole home wifi solution). It’s a simple solution and should work for you. However, you would soon pay off that cost by buying your own wireless solution that will be yours to own and use forever, although the VM Pods should be a simpler option.

If you do want to invest in better equipment, you would need to get either a… (1) Mesh System, (2) Wireless router, (3) Wireless access point (4) A combination of (2,3).

£30-100 (that’s ~4->12 months of Max Pod rental) should sort it for most customers with an average property and usage.

--------------------
John
--------------------