cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub 3 & TP-Link AC1200

Sean_HT
Tuning in

Hi,

I have followed a few other guides on here to turn the Hub 3 into Modem Mode and connect a TP-Link AC1200 (VR400) to use as a router but it's just not working.

When I go through the quick install I do not know what to input as "username & password", it doesn't tell me if what I put is correct and when I get to the end there is no internet. When I then change the setting to Wireless Router Mode after it reboots it doesn't let me to chose the IP anymore.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

14 REPLIES 14

g0akc
Problem sorter

Here's the relevant connectivity for the VR400 (assuming it's the right one).

HARDWARE FEATURES Interface

3× 10/100/1000Mbps RJ45 LAN Ports,
1× 10/100/1000Mbps RJ45 WAN/LAN Port,
1× RJ11 Port,
1× USB 2.0 Port

The RJ45 WAN/LAN port is the one nearest the grey DSL socket (which you won't use on Virgin) and furthest from the power, and it's clearly marked.  That's where you need to connect the VM hub.

vr400.JPG

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I know a bit about Wi-Fi, Telecoms, and TV as I used to do it for a living but I'm not perfect so don't beat me up... If you make things you make mistakes!

Sean_HT
Tuning in

Hi Everyone.

I will persevere with getting it to work via the WAN1 port, I think my next stumbling block is after choosing Virgin Media as my ISP in the drop down it then asks for a username and password - is this a generic set of credentials that confirm the connection or a set of credentials unique to me (i.e. what I sign into My Virgin account or even the SSID and password)?

I have googled an Sky requires this to connect with a third party router - In the username field, enter abcdefgh@skydsl - In the password field, enter 1234567890abcdef - if Virgin have the same I can't find it anywhere.

Thanks again,

@Sean_HT wrote:

Hi Everyone.

I will persevere with getting it to work via the WAN1 port, I think my next stumbling block is after choosing Virgin Media as my ISP in the drop down it then asks for a username and password - is this a generic set of credentials that confirm the connection or a set of credentials unique to me (i.e. what I sign into My Virgin account or even the SSID and password)?

I have googled an Sky requires this to connect with a third party router - In the username field, enter abcdefgh@skydsl - In the password field, enter 1234567890abcdef - if Virgin have the same I can't find it anywhere.

Thanks again,

there is no username/password for a VM connection - you just need to set the WAN port to pick up an address via DHCP - I suspect that your WAN connection is currently configured for PPPoE - see if you can change it to DHCP / Dynamic IP allocation

g0akc
Problem sorter

AFAIK you shouldn’t need to enter any such credentials.

Sky and others need them for login to a server for a PPPoE connection - not relevant on VM.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I know a bit about Wi-Fi, Telecoms, and TV as I used to do it for a living but I'm not perfect so don't beat me up... If you make things you make mistakes!

g0akc
Problem sorter

Indeed, if you set the internet connection type correctly to DHCP it should no longer ask for those details.

It’s on page 16 or so of the manual but not very clearly - see the options in the drag down menus.