cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Eero and SuperHub5

jbbolcato
Tuning in

Hey there,

Been using Eero mesh Wifi with a Superhub3 for years with no problem, both in "router mode", yes both sets of Wifi running at once - I want to use the 4 x ethernet ports on the Superhub, and all was fine.

Upgraded to Superhub5 about 6 months ago, again worked fine, same setup, both router mode  - been fine since.

But then, end of last week: boom. The main gateway Eero Pro 6 went offline and turned flashing blue again. All the other units turned red.

Trying to reinstall it always end up with it failing the "registering" phase, once I type my choice of SSID and password, click Create Network: it tries for about 30s and fails with the "We found an issue" error.

Tried to power cycle units, modem, changed cables, even changed Eeros (I have 3 routers: 2 x Eeros Pro6 and 1 x Eero6) and I keep getting the error.

Did something change recently in the SuperHub5 software last week, to block Mesh wifi units like Eeros? My setup worked flawlessly until last weekend! And now nothing works.

I will also contact the Eero tech support, but I am unsure it's them as all of my Eeros do not  connect to the superhub.

Thanks,

JBB

14 REPLIES 14

Ok, final bit of bad news: Eero confirmed my 3 x Eeros purchased on eBay a few weeks/months apart were ALL TalkTalk Eeros. (checking the serial numbers) They advised to call TalkTalk to know more what the score was, which I did.

TalkTalk tech support was somewhat useless and unpleasant but in a nutshell confirmed they were now locking down Eeros connecting to non TalkTalk ISPs like us on Virgin Media. No way to revert that, and worse: those Eeros were kind of "bricked" as well, so couldn't be resold/used by other users even if on TalkTalk! I contested this as the T&C of the TalkTalk contract seem to give ownership away to the user, so he can decide to sell them... and trap buyers like me. Unsure that's the truth, so I'll ask around to test it. I bet the registration process would work if initiated from a TalkTalk router.  We'll see!

In summary: don't buy Eeros on eBay, most of them are TalkTalk ones!!! (the brown boxes certainly all are)  

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Agreed. Also I would add... dont buy networking equipment from non tech Companies like Google, Amazon, etc whose primary m.o, is data collection.

Stick with equipment from the companies whose core business is networking equipment for all scenarios - like...

- Netgear
- Asus
- TP-Link
- Ubiquiti
- Linksys
- Xyxel
etc.......

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Thanks for posting the issue about Talk Talk eero routers I have the same issue and it was driving me mad.   Have you found any solutions in the meantime or have you just had to write them off?  Thanks in advance

Sadly not, sold two of them for super cheap on eBay with a clear warning they needed to be used by Talktalk customers and ready to negotiate with their grumpy customer service.
Kept one just in case…

if anyone has any luck unbricking them,  please post!

no, no luck at all... intending to sell mine on ebay too!