cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Daily ‘Intermittent service issue in your area’ message

Nikita_R
Tuning in

I started having issues with my Internet in January, receiving the message in the subject line and this happened every week or so. 
However, starting a couple of weeks ago this has happened close to daily from the afternoon, with Internet returning during the night. 
I have advised Virgin Media on several occasions. When I called today they said they would monitor for 24 hours and send a technician out if they still cannot solve. However it’ll most likely be back up in that time. 
Please could anyone advise? 
Thank you

12 REPLIES 12

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Check first for any “known network faults”

As well as trying the “check service,”Area status webpage" (link at top right of this forum), also try the “free & automated” Service Status number - 0800 561 0061 - which usually gives the most up to date info. and tells you of more local issues down to postcode level.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Thanks John, have checked service and ‘no known faults’

I have previously called the number and no faults there, either. 

Is there anything telling about this in that it is happening daily at a similar time?

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
They may be doing work on the network (upgrades?) - only a VM person can comment when they get here in a day or two.

In the meantime record it for yourself as "data/proof" - like this......

If you haven’t already, set up a free, secure and “offlsite” - “Broadband Quality Monitor” to continually monitor the state of your connection and record any true network dropouts , latency issues, packet drops, etc - it will thus allow you to differentiate between those and simple wifi dropouts.

These will show as vertical red lines or red packet loss at the top of the BQM

It does it 24/7/365 and it keeps a visual record of any/all of your network disconnections, useful data to have to match to the Network logs (in your Hub settings) and also in discussions with VM - note it will take a few hours to start seeing a sensible picture - post up the “link” to the “share live graph”. Click the lower link (Share Live Graph) then click generate. Copy the text in the Direct Link box, beware, there may be more text than you can see. On here click the Link icon (2 links chain to the left of the camera icon) In the URL box paste the link you copied and then click OK

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Hi Nikita_R, thanks for the message. I have checked the system and there is not any outages and is showing as green. I would ask that you create a broadband quality monitor here ^Chris. 

Thanks for explaining the BQM, John. I have now set this up so hopefully results will be able to explain the outages! 

Thanks for checking Chris, now got this set up. Will post output once it's been running through an outage 

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality/share/7e6ed381ca60dad3c010d191c384941ff2... 

My Broadband is currently down - does this BQM show anything yet?

Thank you

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Showing too many dropped packets... the red fringe at the top of the trace. Is connection full fibre to the home - or fibre to the cabinet and copper wire from there to your home. I think it looks like its the former.

What Hub model do you have?

And are you in normal router mode - or is the Hub in modem mode? What devices have you got connected on ethernet cables to the Hub (or router)?

Can you do this.....

Post up your Hub/network connection details and someone will check to see if there is a problem there.  In your browser’s URL box type in http://192.168.0.1 (or http://192.168.100.1 - if in modem mode) (DONT click these links) - and hit return. On the first page up dont login (unless you have the Hub4/5 - when you do login) just click on the “router status” icon/text at bottom-middle (Hub3/4) or top/right (SH’s) of the Login page and then Navigate to these “pages” and just copy/paste the normal “Formatted Text” (not images) 3 FULL sets of data onto here – 2 tables from the Downstream, 2 from the Upstream, & the Network Logs page. Don't worry too much about the formatting it can be easily read & DON’T include personal data or MAC addresses - blank them out - if you copy/paste the data, the board software will do this for you (you may need to click the "submit" button again. If character limits are “exceeded” - just do two posts)

--------------------
John
--------------------

Thanks for getting back to me.

Connection is full fibre, nothing is connected by ethernet cable to the Hub.

Just tried typing this in URL box, server not responding / cannot load. Assume I am supposed to be doing this from another device? (tried on phone using 4G and with Virgin Broadband connected, although internet down) no luck loading with either. 

Have an engineer coming out tomorrow so fingers crossed..