cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connecting Netgear Range Extender to Hub 3

George-Stkpt
Tuning in

I've just received delivery of a Netgear EXT6120 range extender to connect to my Hub 3. The range extender has dual channels 2.4GHz and 5GHz as does the Hub 3. I'm uncertain whether or not I need to disable the automatic switching that the Hub 3 supports, but the extender does not, before I connect the range extender? Any help gratefully received. Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Right I see. I wouldn't be able to confirm but if the extender and the hub both had a 2G & 5G settings then it should work.

^Martin

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

7 REPLIES 7

Martin_N
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi George-Stkpt,

Thank you for your post. 

Is this extender from ourselves?

^Martin

Hi Martin

No its a Netgear product I bought myself from Amazon. As I dont have any TV package VM weren't prepared to let me have one for free and I objected to paying them to fix a problem which is inherent in the Hub 3 I was foreced to have when my Superhub 2 developed a fault.

Right I see. I wouldn't be able to confirm but if the extender and the hub both had a 2G & 5G settings then it should work.

^Martin

OK. They do both have 2.4 and 5GHz so I'll go ahead and give it a try. Thanks.

Please do let us know how it goes. 

^Martin

Just managed to connect the extender to the Hub 3. Like others before me I found that just pressing the WPS buttons doesn't work. You need to go into the router settings and activate 'add client' before you can do this. I'm pleased to say that the extender shows two SSID's which have the same name as the VM SSID but with the extensions '-2GEXT' and '-5GEXT' added. The original VM SSID still shows up on my devices. I'm now getting a much better signal where WiFi was previously an issue so I'd recommend this as a solution  to consider. If and when?? VM come up with a Hub 4 I should be ok to use this solution, if necessary, as an alternative to putting the Hub into modem only mode and using another router.

I'm glad to hear it is sorted. 

^Martin