cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband constantly disconnecting - Ealing

Reza1983
Tuning in

My broadband has disconnected about 20 times this morning every few minutes. I’m completely reliant on it for work so it is really frustrating, especially when the status is showing as no issues in the app. I’ve tried restarting the hub but no luck. 

I upgraded to the 200mb service a few weeks ago and I feel it hasn’t been very reliable since I upgraded.

I was wandering if anyone else is having issues in the Ealing area (Hillcrest Road / Hanger Lane).

Really disappointed with the service.

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

conman33158
Super solver

Is this on wireless or wired connection? If wireless are you still having the same internet drop outs via wired connection?

Also have you tried a full factory reset? Hold in the pinhole at the rear of the router for at least 50 seconds and then release (the lights will flash while holding in the pinhole reset button after about 10-15 seconds) then allow 5 minutes for the router to reboot and re-sync the connection.
Please ensure that your WiFi network password is still readable on the Hub sticker before you do this or that you at least have a copy of your original network password 🙂

***********************************************************************************************************************************
BT Full Fibre 900 FTTP - Asus RT-AX82U to Openreach ONT Box & Asus RT-AX56U with AiMesh setup
***********************************************************************************************************************************
My Broadband Ping - BT Full Fibre 900

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

Hi,

thanks for your response.  

The dropout appears to be happening for both my wired and wireless connections.

Do you think the factory reset would help with both issues?

I guess there’s nothing to lose either way by doing the factory reset so I can give that a go.

Thanks,

Reza 

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

11 REPLIES 11

conman33158
Super solver

Is this on wireless or wired connection? If wireless are you still having the same internet drop outs via wired connection?

Also have you tried a full factory reset? Hold in the pinhole at the rear of the router for at least 50 seconds and then release (the lights will flash while holding in the pinhole reset button after about 10-15 seconds) then allow 5 minutes for the router to reboot and re-sync the connection.
Please ensure that your WiFi network password is still readable on the Hub sticker before you do this or that you at least have a copy of your original network password 🙂

BT Full Fibre 900 FTTP - Asus RT-AX82U to Openreach ONT Box & Asus RT-AX56U with AiMesh setup

Hi,

thanks for your response.  

The dropout appears to be happening for both my wired and wireless connections.

Do you think the factory reset would help with both issues?

I guess there’s nothing to lose either way by doing the factory reset so I can give that a go.

Thanks,

Reza 

It does no harm to perform a factory reset as a first step as it rules out any stale connection issues. If it still persists after the reset you can come back here and we can move to the next step 🙂

Thanks, I’ve done the factory reset and so far no dropout issues thankfully (although it’s only been 20 mins).

However I now only have access to one network, where before I had options to connect to a 2G or 5G option.

Also I’ve been doing some speed tests (using these free speed testers on my phone) and I’m only getting download speeds of 30-80mb which is much lower than the 200mb I’ve signed up for. This doesn’t worry me too much as long as I have a stable connection, but it would be good to get the most out out if possible.

Let me know if you have any further advice on the above?

Thanks very much,

Reza

You would need to split the wifi bands

Type  http://192.168.0.1  into your URL address bar on your browser and login into the Hub with your chosen password or use the settings password on the Hubs sticker on the bottom of the Hub and set up the Hub with a new password. Then go to Advanced>Wireless>Smart Wi-Fi and tick the disable “channel optimisation” box if available in your router settings and save settings.  Then go to Advanced>Wireless>Security and rename the 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz network SSID's.  Change them to whatever you like, for example JohnsVirgin_2 and JohnVirgin_5.  You can keep the same wi-fi passwords or use one of your choosing, then click apply settings and restart the Hub. Your two wi-fi networks will now be separated and you can select whichever network you want to connect too, for example the JohnsVirgin_2 (2Ghz) or JohnsVirgin_5 (5Ghz). The 2Ghz one has a greater range but has a slower speed and the 5Ghz one has less range but faster speeds. Be aware that some older devices will only see the 2.4Ghz SSID but most modern devices will come with 5Ghz capability.

Also please be aware that all your previously connected wireless devices will need to be connected again to your new SSID's with you new passwords or your old password if you decided to keep them.

Also having issues in the same area of Ealing. This is a Virgin issue, not WiFi. There is a notice on Virgin saying maintenance was being done until 8am this morning but the service continues to be of poor quality and drop out periodically.  Virgin Media - what work is being done and when will the service be restored?  Very disappointed with this as the OP points out.

@Buckers65 wrote:

Also having issues in the same area of Ealing. This is a Virgin issue, not WiFi. There is a notice on Virgin saying maintenance was being done until 8am this morning but the service continues to be of poor quality and drop out periodically.  Virgin Media - what work is being done and when will the service be restored?  Very disappointed with this as the OP points out.

You might have better luck starting your own thread instead of replying to a year old post 🙂

Cheers! Maybe this is an annual bit of VM maintenance 😉

@Buckers65 wrote:

Cheers! Maybe this is an annual bit of VM maintenance 😉

Who knows mate, Virgin aren't that forthcoming when it comes to providing information...lol😂