cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Historical debt

Tan_S84
Joining in

Hi 

I am trying to clear some historical debt with virgin media and mobile. These have popped up on my credit score from 2014. 

I have spoken with collections team and they are unable to access anything!! 

Pointless really and it is impossible to get through to customer services. I need to settle these amounts.

Any idea best way to resolve this?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Anonymous
Not applicable
also paying it off won't change anything.
Lenders will see a year old debt not paid and see it paid off just before you ask them for credit. this looks as bad as not paying.

To the new agent it just looks like you will default and only care about paying them when you need more credit.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

3 REPLIES 3

Andrew-G
Alessandro Volta

VM will long ago have written this off as a bad debt hence the lack of record, although they could have sold it on to a (scumbag) debt collection agency who may be holding on to the liability. 

Even if you clear the debt (and any interest, late payment and debt collector charges) it won't eradicate the default from your credit history file.  If you've simply seen this on your credit record, give thought to letting it age-off.  Credit histories are normally six years, so (presumably?) the unpaid debt will become invisible next year, subject to provisos in the link.  If you're in the process of seeking credit/mortgage, and the lender has raised this make sure you confirm with them that paying off the debt will unblock any potential loan, otherwise you could pay off a debt that's already long been written off, and still be refused the credit you're seeking.

Anonymous
Not applicable
also paying it off won't change anything.
Lenders will see a year old debt not paid and see it paid off just before you ask them for credit. this looks as bad as not paying.

To the new agent it just looks like you will default and only care about paying them when you need more credit.

The debt is 7 years old and should no longer appear on your credit file, companies buy up debt that is the way past the statute of limitation and if they have put a notice on your credit file, contact the credit agency and tell them to remove it now. If you have been daft enough to pay this company after six or seven years anything at all then I'm sure you owe the debt again, (check that up)  there was a Norwegian firm doing this a few years back buying up out of date debt for pennies and making a fortune as people did not know their rights.