cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Landline upgrade to fibre and voicemail query

DrJazz
On our wavelength

Reading the changeover notes I see that the router needs to be on 24/7 for the phone to work.  We switch our router off at night and if we are out for a long time, and don't want to keep it on all the time.  Our current phone has it's own answer machine, but I know that I could use the virgin voicemail service. My question is if I use the latter, and the phone is switched off (ie because the router is switched off) can I set it to still record messages?

Thanks

5 REPLIES 5

Kath_F
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi DrJazz, 

Thanks for your post and it's great having you back in the Community. 

I had to ask a colleague for advice on this one but overall the Voicemail feature should still work.

Keep us posted on how things go. 

Thanks, 

Kath_F
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

"but overall the Voicemail feature should still work." Is it not possible to find out definitively? Thanks.

Hi Shark008, 

Thanks for your query 🙂 

I've put 'should' as that is the answer. It should work however there are times when faults develop which could cause it to not work on occasions. 

On the whole, even with the phoneline offline, the voicemail should still kick in and allow messages to be left 🙂

Hope that clarifies things. 

Thanks, 

Kath_F
Forum Team

Good to know thanks for clarifying as "having spoken to a colleague it should work", initially seemed a bit vague. As you probably know it is such an awful rigmarole getting voicemail switched on and off, calling support, receiving new contracts, waiting 24 hours (in my case 2 weeks and still waiting) and then potentially having to call again to get number of rings changed, waiting another 24 hours and then if it does not work out and you have to switch it off again, you have to try and get through to customer "support" again, receiving new contracts again and wait another 24 hours or more. No one would want to go through that unnecessarily.

Hi Shark008, 

Of course. This would be a totally different situation through as the OP was referring to the Hub itself being switched off as opposed to the Voicemail feature itself being switched off. 

I had to speak to a colleague as it was a very interesting question that I've not been asked before and it doesn't look like it is in the FAQ's either. 

If you have any further issues, pop back and let us know. 

Thanks, 

Kath_F
Forum Team