cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Webmail/need to change password.

Jillyflower
On our wavelength

I keep trying to change my password as advised but the page doesn't do anything after I answer the questions. 

I go round in circles. it has been at least 3 days now, 

any ideas or do i need to sit on 150...

ta 

Jill 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

coenoby
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Jillyflower wrote:

If you know the existing password for that account you could try signing in to the "My Virgin Media" account (rather than you VM email account) from here https://virginmedia.com/my-virgin-media and reset the password there. These days VM seem to be pushing people to use that route to change the email account password. You will not be asked for security details.

Click on the above link and enter your VM email address and the existing password when prompted. Then  navigate to the "Account details" page where you will see the option to "edit" (that means change) your existing password. 

Sadly, the "My Virgin Media" user interface seems to change from time to time but to get to "Account details" you will either have to click on "Update settings" or the "My profile" tab depending on which option comes up.

If you cannot reset that password yourself then it will need to be sorted by Virgin Media.

You could try calling150 but it might be easier to wait for one of the Forum Team (VM employees who support this forum) to pick up on your post. They will be able to get this sorted for you.

The first thing they will ask is whether you are a VM broadband customer - many people continue using their VM email accounts long after they have switched broadband provider.

If you are paying VM customer that will make things easier so it would be worthwhile coming back and confirming that.

One of the Forum Team will contact you via this forum thread in the next day or so.

Coenoby

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media.

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

3 REPLIES 3

coenoby
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Jillyflower wrote:

If you know the existing password for that account you could try signing in to the "My Virgin Media" account (rather than you VM email account) from here https://virginmedia.com/my-virgin-media and reset the password there. These days VM seem to be pushing people to use that route to change the email account password. You will not be asked for security details.

Click on the above link and enter your VM email address and the existing password when prompted. Then  navigate to the "Account details" page where you will see the option to "edit" (that means change) your existing password. 

Sadly, the "My Virgin Media" user interface seems to change from time to time but to get to "Account details" you will either have to click on "Update settings" or the "My profile" tab depending on which option comes up.

If you cannot reset that password yourself then it will need to be sorted by Virgin Media.

You could try calling150 but it might be easier to wait for one of the Forum Team (VM employees who support this forum) to pick up on your post. They will be able to get this sorted for you.

The first thing they will ask is whether you are a VM broadband customer - many people continue using their VM email accounts long after they have switched broadband provider.

If you are paying VM customer that will make things easier so it would be worthwhile coming back and confirming that.

One of the Forum Team will contact you via this forum thread in the next day or so.

Coenoby

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media.

Thank you for replying. 

I'm glad you knew that I didn't have to use the webmail password reset.   I waited 15 mins after resetting password and we seem to be back up. Fingers crossed. 

In the few days since I could access webmail , there are 112 SPAM emails all of a very dodgy nature and some that have gone into the inbox.

I have been reporting all these to phishing@virginmedia.com and report@phishing.gov.uk . im hoping they will stop soon. 

I am guessing all these that have been arriving is the cause of the account being blocked. 

I am a current VM customer and have been for many many years . 

Jill

coenoby
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Jillyflower wrote:

In the few days since I could access webmail , there are 112 SPAM emails all of a very dodgy nature and some that have gone into the inbox...............I am guessing all these that have been arriving is the cause of the account being blocked.

Thanks for the update. I'm glad to hear that you have managed to regain access to your account.

Regarding your comments above.

VM rarely give any precise reason why a specific email account gets locked. However, personally I cannot see why they would lock an account just because it is receiving spam or  phishing emails. When VM lock an email account that forces a password change but that will not stop you getting spam emails.

The bigger concern for email providers is to protect their email servers and IP addresses from being flagged as senders of spam. That can come about either because:

1. hackers gain access to an email account's credentials (password and username) and then use that information to send spam remotely but using VM's email servers
  2. as a result of malware getting onto a device on the customer's home network which then sends large amounts of spam emails without that being apparent to the VM customer.

If  VM have reason to believe an email account has been compromised ( as in 1 above), locking that account and forcing the customer to change their password helps to secure the account again.

Also, their error message on a locked account usually asks customers to run AV scans on their devices and that helps to address the malware issue (case 2).

So, taking all that into account I would be surprised if VM locked your account because of the volume of spam messages you are seeing.

Coenoby