cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Long established @ntlworld.com email address suddenly disappeared

treads100
Tuning in

I am currently unable to access my Virgin Media account online by logging in with my primary @ntlworld.com email address and password.

When I contacted customer support, I was told that the email address does not exist even though I have been using this for many years.  They could not resolve the issue and said the ‘tech’ team would contact me within 5 days.  I have had two calls but missed both – not easy to always be able to take a call without a more specific time slot.

I can still access emails for this (non-existent) address via Outlook!

Thought I’d post here to see if anyone can help!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

coenoby
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@treads100 

If that email account is the Primary Account for your current active VM Broadband Account something odd is going on.

What error message do you get when you try to access the account, is it  "Your email or password was incorrect" ?

It may seem strange, but the fact you can still access the account via Outlook does suggest that the email account may be at least in the course of being deleted by VM. 

Previous experience on the forum suggests that when VM delete an email account their process starts with removing access to the Webmail account.

However, there is then a period when the mailbox is still active so emails can be sent to the address and you can still manage the account via  email clients such as Outlook. The reason for that is because email clients such as Outlook effectively access the mailbox directly rather via the webmail account.

I think this is definitely going to need VM resolve what's happened.

Because of that I have escalated this to the VM Forum Team (VM employees) and one of them should be contacting you later today.

Coenoby

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media.

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

8 REPLIES 8

Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

The most important question in such cases is is the email address concerned linked to your current VM broadband account?

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Please read the FAQs

Yes it is.

coenoby
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@treads100 

If that email account is the Primary Account for your current active VM Broadband Account something odd is going on.

What error message do you get when you try to access the account, is it  "Your email or password was incorrect" ?

It may seem strange, but the fact you can still access the account via Outlook does suggest that the email account may be at least in the course of being deleted by VM. 

Previous experience on the forum suggests that when VM delete an email account their process starts with removing access to the Webmail account.

However, there is then a period when the mailbox is still active so emails can be sent to the address and you can still manage the account via  email clients such as Outlook. The reason for that is because email clients such as Outlook effectively access the mailbox directly rather via the webmail account.

I think this is definitely going to need VM resolve what's happened.

Because of that I have escalated this to the VM Forum Team (VM employees) and one of them should be contacting you later today.

Coenoby

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media.

treads100
Tuning in

That's very kind of you. Cheers!

coenoby
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@treads100 wrote:

That's very kind of you. Cheers!

No problem.

Can I ask again "What error message do you get when you try to access the account, is it "Your email or password was incorrect" ?"

Coenoby

treads100
Tuning in

Update:

Found I could access Virgin Media webmail via my established secondary @ntlworld.com address ( although account information e.g. VM package etc. not accessible).  I then used the 'add email' button to add my 'lost' primary email and it suddenly reappeared with all of the emails sent to this address since it had disappeared but I still can't log in with this email ( and it has in effect become the secondary email on webmail!) 

Hi treads100,

Thank you for the update, so I can help I will send you an invite into a private chat, once received please click on the envelope to accept.

Regards

Paul.

coenoby
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@treads100 wrote:

Update:

Found I could access Virgin Media webmail via my established secondary @ntlworld.com address ...........I then used the 'add email' button to add my 'lost' primary email and it suddenly reappeared with all of the emails sent to this address since it had disappeared

Just for information.  Given the symptoms you described earlier - can access the account via Outlook but not via the VM website - it's no surprise that you can access the email account using the "add email" option in another VM webmail account.

Why?

Well when you add an email account to a VM webmail account, webmail uses the same method as Outlook to pick up and send emails. So if it works with Outlook it will work with the the Unified email ("add mail") option in VM webmail.

So, sorry but you have not actually moved any further forward there. Your Primary Account is still in exactly the same limbo state.

Just respond to @Paul_DN 's private message to take this forward with VM. 😉

Coenoby