cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot send emails

RyanCuthbert
Joining in

I am in another country been sending and receiving emails for over a week all the sudden i cant send anymore only receive do we think virgin has detected I’m in another country and thought I’ve been hacked etc i am on Wi-Fi only btw

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

coenoby
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@RyanCuthbert wrote:

I am in another country been sending and receiving  for over a week all the sudden i cant send anymore only receive

Most email providers, including Virgin Media,  have limits on the volume of email that can be sent from personal email accounts to prevent their services being used by spammers.

VM's limits are higher if you are sending from the UK and lower if you are sending from outside the UK. They are even lower if you are sending from a country that has a bad reputation as a source of spam. They are also lower if you are sending via an email app rather than via VM webmail.

The limits are based on the number of recipients rather than the number of emails, so if you send an email to a main recipient and 10 cc's that counts as 11 rather than 1. 

Therefore if you are overseas and have been sending emails with a number of cc addresses and you are using an email app such as Microsoft Outlook or Mail you could easily be breaching VM's limits.

The two errors to look out for are "too many recipients (VM501)" which indicates you have exceeded the hourly limit and "too many recipients (VM502)" which  indicates you have exceeded the limit sent in a single day.

If you exceed those limits VM will automatically lock your email account from sending any emails for a period of time but will still allow emails to be received. The account will automatically be unlocked once the time is up and you will then be able to send emails, until you again reach the hourly or daily limit.

Coenoby

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media.

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

2 REPLIES 2

coenoby
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@RyanCuthbert wrote:

I am in another country been sending and receiving  for over a week all the sudden i cant send anymore only receive

Most email providers, including Virgin Media,  have limits on the volume of email that can be sent from personal email accounts to prevent their services being used by spammers.

VM's limits are higher if you are sending from the UK and lower if you are sending from outside the UK. They are even lower if you are sending from a country that has a bad reputation as a source of spam. They are also lower if you are sending via an email app rather than via VM webmail.

The limits are based on the number of recipients rather than the number of emails, so if you send an email to a main recipient and 10 cc's that counts as 11 rather than 1. 

Therefore if you are overseas and have been sending emails with a number of cc addresses and you are using an email app such as Microsoft Outlook or Mail you could easily be breaching VM's limits.

The two errors to look out for are "too many recipients (VM501)" which indicates you have exceeded the hourly limit and "too many recipients (VM502)" which  indicates you have exceeded the limit sent in a single day.

If you exceed those limits VM will automatically lock your email account from sending any emails for a period of time but will still allow emails to be received. The account will automatically be unlocked once the time is up and you will then be able to send emails, until you again reach the hourly or daily limit.

Coenoby

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media.

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Many thanks i did suspect