My mother has two boxes in her house a TIVO and a V+ box, she recently received a call saying that the V+ would "expire" at the end of august and would no longer work. The person said that she would get a free box as a replacement. The box arrived today and its another TIVO box (which we havent yet activated), however I am led to believe she that as she has TV/Phone/BB (with Vivid 200) in her package (and has a HD TV) that she should have been sent a V6 box instead.
The TIVO boxes can be painfully slow in the menu at times and I believe that the V6 has resolved this problem.
I have tried raising this issue with Live Chat but it currently seems a bit dead and when you phone up the person in the call centre only seems toy want to go through a script which includes charging £99 for the V6 box.
As I pay for this service for my mother I want her to get the best value out of it as possible so my question is, should we have been sent a V6 box? and if so how do we get this resolved?
You are correct they should have sent a V6. Also I'm not sure why they made this call as I can assure you the V+ boxes are not being retired just yet. Have they charged her anything for this replacement?
Going forwards, your mother has several options.
1) Keep the V+ until they actually are being retired, and at that point it will be replaced with a V6 free of charge.
2) Ring up again, and this time select the "thinking of leaving us" option and ask them to send a V6 box.
3) If Retentions are trying to charge her and she really wants a V6, wait a few days and ring up and report the V+ box as faulty. These boxes are old so failure of the hard drive is inevitable at some point. Or you could quote the "V+ waking up" issue that's being going on recently (though this is easily fixed, Virgin aren't interested in informing customers of this and instead will send out a V6 box). If they want to send an engineer out, even better as that is a guaranteed route to getting a V6.
4) Same as above but report the TiVo as faulty instead. Then she will have a V6 & a V+ for now, at some point (probably next year) when the V+ boxes are withdrawn, she'll get another V6.
Thanks for the reply, there was no additional charge and the person she spoke to emphasised that several times during the conversation. Its funny you say they shouldnt have been calling about this as the initial call was on Thursday afternoon, a different person from VM phoned again on Friday and seemed to have no knowledge of the original call. When the second caller was told about the first call they just said ok and hung up, I assumed there was some big list they were working through of all the old boxes that need replacement.
We do however now have brand new unactivated boxed TIVO sitting here, are they likely to want it back at any stage?
The whole things sounds a bit suspicious to me. Make sure your mother keeps an eye on her bill. With regards to the TiVo, it's difficult to say whether they'll want it back. Generally they don't, but as it'll be newly refurbished and your mother hasn't used it yet, they may. Best thing to do is ring up and clarify the situation, always use the "thinking of leaving us" option for Customer Services/Retentions. The sales teams might fob you off. Just explain that you were promised a V6 but another TiVo has turned up which you don't want. But don't let them tell you V+ is being withdrawn at the end of August, it isn't. There was a withdrawal programme going on recently but this was for non-recording, non-HD V boxes (not V+).
The bill actually comes out of my account, I have looked at the VM account page and the amount due to come out of the next bill is normal. I also checked my bank account to make sure there werent any pending charges that may have been added. The next bill is due on Monday so I assume the following one will show up on the account page after that date, which I will double check.