cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Compatible big button remote

Anika
Joining in

Is there a compatible big button remote available for an elderly person finding the standard one difficult to operate

5 REPLIES 5

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi @Anika 

VM do have an Accessibility Remote which they may find easier to use. It's white with black buttons and is designed with partially sighted customers in mind. The buttons are different shapes to differentiate them and have a raised button on the number 5 to best locate the number buttons. 

There are also some changes that they can make to the screen itself to make it easier for them to navigate: If they has difficulty seeing the screen, both the V6 and TiVo has 'audio cues' which can help them find their way around the menus. These are sounds that show actions and reactions to button presses on the remote control.

There are five main audio cues:

• A tone that starts low and goes higher - this means you've moved forward into the next menu.
  • A tone that starts high and goes lower - this sounds means you pressed BACK or returned to the previous menu.
  • A single tone - this sound means you've pressed a button when moving around the TV guide.
  • A deep tone - you'll hear this sound when you've tried to carry out an action that isn't available.

A member of the Forum Team may pick this up for you in a  day or two.

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks

The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

David_Bn
Forum Team
Forum Team

Good Afternoon @Anika, thanks for your post on our Community Forums, and a very warm welcome to you!

Sorry to hear of the struggles you've faced with the TV remote control for the services.

Can you possibly confirm what type of set top box you're working with?

If you have the 360 TV services, you would have access to voice command on the remote control, which may be worth utilising where possible.

Kindest regards,

David_Bn

Hi there, thank you so much for your reply .. Her sight is fine it’s actually the dexterity in her fingers. Are the buttons on the accessibility remote larger?

Hi thank you so much for your reply .. it’s the old Horizon box I was thinking of upgrading to the 365 but there is still an issue with the “on” button .. The boxes seem to automatically turn off after a few hours. 

Reece_MH
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi Anika 👋

Thanks for coming back with an update on this. Just to clarify, is this a Virgin Media UK or Ireland service? We don't offer a Horizon TV box with our services, but rather the TiVo, V6 or TV360, just would just like to confirm this.

Cheers,

Reece - Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our FAQ