Menu
Reply
  • 1.07K
  • 77
  • 225
Corinneangela
Knows their stuff
317 Views
Message 341 of 723
Flag for a moderator

Re: BBC iPlayer 4k World Cup coverage confirmed but to be "restricted"


@ozsat wrote:

How do you know it is the UHD stream and not the HD stream?


@Stampmark wrote:

Not true you don’t need hlg to get the uhd football my tv has no hdr at all and I get the uhd stream and it looks great when it’s not buffering 


 


There is a big sign top right says 'BBC UHD'

0 Kudos
Reply
  • 682
  • 47
  • 233
dante01
Rising star
313 Views
Message 342 of 723
Flag for a moderator

Re: BBC iPlayer 4k World Cup coverage confirmed but to be "restricted"

You need an HLG compliant TV to get UHD 4K football via the iPlayer n the V6. The V6 implementation of the iPlayer will not even allow you to accees the 4K UHD football feeds if your TV isn't fully HLG compliant!

0 Kudos
Reply
  • 3.34K
  • 207
  • 486
ozsat
Wise owl
308 Views
Message 343 of 723
Flag for a moderator

Re: BBC iPlayer 4k World Cup coverage confirmed but to be "restricted"

@The question was aimed at @Stampmark

I think quite a few people think they have it - when they are actually watching the default HD live feed.


@Corinneangela wrote:

@ozsat wrote:

How do you know it is the UHD stream and not the HD stream?


@Stampmark wrote:

Not true you don’t need hlg to get the uhd football my tv has no hdr at all and I get the uhd stream and it looks great when it’s not buffering 


 


There is a big sign top left says 'BBC UHD'


 

==================================
V6 TiVo (with MRS & UHD/HDR)
VIVID 500 (500/35mb) in Area 31
SkyQ Silver Bundle (UHD + 2 minis)
0 Kudos
Reply
  • 32
  • 0
  • 3
Stampmark
Tuning in
303 Views
Message 344 of 723
Flag for a moderator

Re: BBC iPlayer 4k World Cup coverage confirmed but to be "restricted"

Because it says BBC UHD in the top right corner and the picture is superior to hd I have a setting called hdmi ultra hd colour and if I switch this off I don’t get the uhd stream 

0 Kudos
Reply
  • 1.07K
  • 77
  • 225
Corinneangela
Knows their stuff
291 Views
Message 345 of 723
Flag for a moderator

Re: BBC iPlayer 4k World Cup coverage confirmed but to be "restricted"

I spoke too soon.. on V6 app, picture was brighter, then it buffered and got stuck with the circle.. had to exit and open iPlayer again and it was back to dark Smiley Sad

 

0 Kudos
Reply
  • 3.34K
  • 207
  • 486
ozsat
Wise owl
284 Views
Message 346 of 723
Flag for a moderator

Re: BBC iPlayer 4k World Cup coverage confirmed but to be "restricted"

Switching on Ultra HD Colour on an LG enables their HDR option via HDMI.

It is not full HDR but is a compromise. My 2016 Samsung had this.


@Stampmark wrote:

Because it says BBC UHD in the top right corner and the picture is superior to hd I have a setting called hdmi ultra hd colour and if I switch this off I don’t get the uhd stream 


 

==================================
V6 TiVo (with MRS & UHD/HDR)
VIVID 500 (500/35mb) in Area 31
SkyQ Silver Bundle (UHD + 2 minis)
0 Kudos
Reply
  • 1.07K
  • 77
  • 225
Corinneangela
Knows their stuff
267 Views
Message 347 of 723
Flag for a moderator

Re: BBC iPlayer 4k World Cup coverage confirmed but to be "restricted"


@ozsat wrote:

Switching on Ultra HD Colour on an LG enables their HDR option via HDMI.

It is not full HDR but is a compromise. My 2016 Samsung had this.


@Stampmark wrote:

Because it says BBC UHD in the top right corner and the picture is superior to hd I have a setting called hdmi ultra hd colour and if I switch this off I don’t get the uhd stream 


 


Had to do similar with my Samsung.. Ben pointed it out to me. Before I switcvhed that on I could not get the football test loop.

Great game though.. That last free kick where he scored.. marvelous Smiley Happy

 

  • 250
  • 1
  • 60
Blenky
Superfast
263 Views
Message 348 of 723
Flag for a moderator

Re: BBC iPlayer 4k World Cup coverage confirmed but to be "restricted"


@ozsat wrote:

I explained that earlier - the UHD trial of Planet Earth should work on both UHD and non-UHD kit using the same stream.

It is there to shown that UHD stream works on both - but you will not actually see it in UHD on non-UHD kit.

The football is only being offered when the iPlayer app detects a HLG tv.


@Weejah2 wrote:

I give up. I don't understand why I can get the uhd trial to work but not the football. Ridiculous really


 


Not true.  I have got the UHD World Cup running on both my Roku+ (HDR\HLG UHD) and my V6 - which does not recognise my TV as HLG so its SDR UHD.  

0 Kudos
Reply
  • 682
  • 47
  • 233
dante01
Rising star
246 Views
Message 349 of 723
Flag for a moderator

Re: BBC iPlayer 4k World Cup coverage confirmed but to be "restricted"


@Blenky wrote:

 

Not true.  I have got the UHD World Cup running on both my Roku+ (HDR\HLG UHD) and my V6 - which does not recognise my TV as HLG so its SDR UHD.  

The iPlayer implementation on the V6 cannot and will not access the 4K UHD football streams unless the TV the V6 is connected to is fully HLG compliant. You cannot output these streams as 4K UHD SDR. The Roku can do it, but the V6 wont!

0 Kudos
Reply
  • 3.34K
  • 207
  • 486
ozsat
Wise owl
245 Views
Message 350 of 723
Flag for a moderator

Re: BBC iPlayer 4k World Cup coverage confirmed but to be "restricted"

I noticed the Roku+ wasn't checking for HLG. Not sure if it is a fiddle or an error on the Roku.

If an error it may be something they fix in an update and it may stop working.


@Blenky wrote:

Not true.  I have got the UHD World Cup running on both my Roku+ (HDR\HLG UHD) and my V6 - which does not recognise my TV as HLG so its SDR UHD.  


 

==================================
V6 TiVo (with MRS & UHD/HDR)
VIVID 500 (500/35mb) in Area 31
SkyQ Silver Bundle (UHD + 2 minis)
0 Kudos
Reply