Menu
RPB
Tuning in
Message 51 of 58
Flag for a moderator

Re: Line rental saver SCRAPPED!!!

I called up just now and got mine renewed with no issues. I did get the foreign call centre, however, she was helpful and renewed it straight away. She did mention I had "called at the right time" to renew it though, as later on, I would have missed this opportunity like a lot of you have done already.
She also mentioned they have stopped offering the service which to me means nothing as an existing customer. I either get this or I want something else for the extra £32 they'll be taking.
rfwilmut
On our wavelength
Message 52 of 58
Flag for a moderator

My line rental expires on 22nd December. I rang 150 using options 1 then 1, and spoke to an overseas gentleman who explained that I would have had to renew this 40 days in advance. I protested that this was the first I'd heard of this, but he said he couldn't do anything about it (though he would register a complaint) and I would go onto the monthly payment.

Having read posts hear I tried again. PaulH2011 posted on 25th October to use options 4 (make changes to your package), 1 (add a new service), 2 (line rental saver). Option 2 no longer exists, but having gone to 'add a new service' I spoke to another overseas gentleman who renewed my line rental without any difficulties at all.

A case of the left hand not knowing what the right hand is doing. Evidently 'adding a new service' is the way to go, but from other comments I would suggest renewing it before the bill preceding the month in which the renewal ends.

0 Kudos
NHANDUCHROMATUS
On our wavelength
Message 53 of 58
Flag for a moderator

all the man said to us was if its not renewed before the date expiry of old line rental saver we wouldn't be able to renew he never said there was a specific date before expiry.... glad you sorted it.... 👍

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 54 of 58
Flag for a moderator

@RPB wrote:
I called up just now and got mine renewed with no issues. I did get the foreign call centre, however, she was helpful and renewed it straight away. She did mention I had "called at the right time" to renew it though, as later on, I would have missed this opportunity like a lot of you have done already.
She also mentioned they have stopped offering the service which to me means nothing as an existing customer. I either get this or I want something else for the extra £32 they'll be taking.

All you were getting for this was a discount for "buying in bulk" & being tied to a 12 month contract. Virgin is one of the last providers to scrap LRS (Sky scrapped theirs 4 years ago) so it was bound to happen sooner or later. Most of the reasons for the universal scrapping is that caller display must be provided free now, whereas before providers could charge for it (in VM's case £2.25 a month). Don't get your hopes up for a renewal next year.

Of course things might change considerably in the future. VoIP is now becoming available in most areas, & if you look at the model being used by VM Ireland which is all VoIP, calls are now inclusive of the Broadband cost over there.

su1718.jpgCable customer since 1993. Services: FH TV, Sky Sports & Movies (2xV6), Talk Anytime Phone, VIVID 350, Virgin PAYG Mobile

OldGit23
Settling in
Message 55 of 58
Flag for a moderator

Had exactly the same problem and initial response from Virgin. Was told when I renewed last year that I WOULD be notified prior to renewal. Second person that I spoke to (Sharan) said Virgin would be revisiting the issue in January due to Customer Feedback. It would be reintroduced and an update posted on Website.I could then reapply and would be credited with the two months paid at standard rate. We shall see!

Alan43
Joining in
Message 56 of 58
Flag for a moderator

Why don't Virgin just come clean on this issue ?

I have had LRS with them now as a existing customer for many years . When I noticed my next bill had increased I rang up to renew my LRS for another year. Bear in mind my existing LRS was not due to expire for another three days only to be told I could not renew as it should have been done before now. I asked to speak to a manager who reiterated what the original agent had said. I asked him why I had not been contacted by email in order to renew to which he replied they do not email but send out a reminder by post. This was a complete lie as I never received no such reminder as another person on this forum has already said. It is quite clear they just want rid of this service even if they won't admit to it. I am completely miffed as to why I cannot renew a few days before the expiry date. If I receive a car or home insurance renewal quote by post I don't expect to be told it is no longer valid if I only renew a day or two before. As I said at the beginning why they do not come clean on this issue instead of letting their agents make apologetic lies about letters being sent out.

0 Kudos
missykai
On our wavelength
Message 57 of 58
Flag for a moderator

Re: You CAN Have Your LRS Renewed

thanks to everyone for their advice on here.  as with others, i had no idea the line rental saver wasn't continuing as normal until the standard monthly line rental charge appeared on my bill.  i guess we should all learn not to rely on reminder letters! 

i managed to renew today, using the steps outlined by keithse. as noted by another poster, option 2 for lrs no longer exists, but i still got through to someone who knew what they were doing. it was indeed an overseas call centre, but i honestly don't see that the location of the centre makes any difference, it's surely about whether the staff are appropriately trained to deal with your request.  i was initially told that my lrs had expired, but i had my expiry date to hand (23rd dec, today is the 12th) and after some delays while he tried to persuade the system i was entitled to renew, it all went through without a hitch.  

very grateful that i found the info here to be able to renew without too much hassle, but unimpressed with virgin for being so sneaky about it!

for info, here's the text of the confirmation email i just received:

Hello,

Thanks for taking Line Rental Saver for the next 12 months. We're just letting you know we've received your payment of £196.00 by debit/credit card.

By paying up front for a year's line rental, you've cut £32.00 from the full price of £228.00.

Terms and conditions

Line Rental Saver is available to existing customers renewing an existing line rental saver plan for a Virgin Media cable phone line. Standard Line Rental for landlines is currently £19.00 a month. This offer is not available with other line rental offers or Virgin Phone talk plan offers. After 12 months, you'll automatically move to our standard line rental which is currently charged at £19.00 per month.

@keithse wrote:

To get to the LRS people when you call up (i.e. call 150 from a VM phone or 0345 454 1111 from another phone) then you should choose the following:

• Initially choose Option 1 for "Broadband, TV and Phone"
  • Then select Option 1 or 2 (depending if you're calling from the phone that is on the account you want to talk about or another phone)
  • Then Option 4 "Make changes to your account"
  • Then Option 1 "Add a new service"
  • Then Option 2 "Line Rental Saver"

Alan43
Joining in
Message 58 of 58
Flag for a moderator

Rang up 150 again today  with one day left of my existing LRS.

I quoted the Virgin media web page ....

Line Rental Saver - THE LEGAL STUFF   which states line rental must be paid in advance by debit/credit card. Only available to existing customers renewing an existing Line saver plan for a virgin media phone line.

NB  No mention that it has to be paid weeks before existing expiry date.

As expected I was told the plan had finished and I was unable to renew.

Have e-mailed customer complaints at Virgin. Won't hold my breath waiting for a satisfactory reply.

0 Kudos