Menu
marygemmajim
Joining in
Message 21 of 32
Flag for a moderator

Re: Is it legal for Sky Tv to take my phone number from Virgin media without my permission

Hi Nick  - again  - thanks a million for trying to help me  - but this has been ongoing for months  - there are two at fault here  - so it will have to be both of these that will answer  - I was onto Virgin media on the 11th of December and there Technically supports were anything but polite  - but then again  - I wasn't sure what part of the world I was speaking to  - again thanks a million  - and I hope that you and your family will have a great 2019 - and maybe drop by my Facebook page 

0 Kudos
marygemmajim
Joining in
Message 22 of 32
Flag for a moderator

Re: Is it legal for Sky Tv to take my phone number from Virgin media without my permission

So sorry- Nick - I wasn't told that the forum was only for the UK - I must apologise for my posting  - I  just thought it was a forum set up for anybody who had a problem with Virgin media  - and the good people of the forum could help  - again I am so sorry 

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 23 of 32
Flag for a moderator

@marygemmajim wrote:

A million thanks for your kind replies  - sorry but NO - I did not ask Sky to take my phone number from Virgin media  - or gave permission to Virgin media to port my number to Sky  - there was no UAN given to Sky - nor was one asked for from Virgin media  - it has taken from the 7th November when Sky took my phone number from Virgin media to the 11th December to get the UAN from Sky and give it to Virgin media  - I then had to take out a new bundle with Virgin media to include the phone  - that was the 11th  - a week went past  - and still NO phone  - Virgin media then - when I contacted them and apologised for not doing something  - it would appear that they forgot  - I was told on phone by a lady supervisor that it would be sorted  - hence my phone call on the 24th December  - it was only then  - that I got the emergency number  - today the 2nd of January 2019 still only the Emergency number  - so to round up - I have been without my own phone number since the 7th of November 2018 to today the 2nd of January 2019  - been out of my bundle  - equals  - out of pocket 

New Virgin customers from this year are only being offered a VoIP telephone service, which uses the Broadband/TV coaxial cable & not a phone line.

Interestingly, nobody ever mentions UAN's here in the UK now as OFCOM has made this part of the process invisible to the customer, although I believe the process is still used in the Irish Republic.

Virgin Media UK & Virgin Media Ireland are totally seperate companies.

su1718.jpgCable customer since 1993. Services: FH TV, Sky Sports & Movies (2xV6), Talk Anytime Phone, VIVID 350, Virgin PAYG Mobile

nick_london
Fibre optic
Message 24 of 32
Flag for a moderator

Not all areas are getting the voip service just yet.

0 Kudos
marygemmajim
Joining in
Message 25 of 32
Flag for a moderator

Hi again  - we in Ireland must be behind the times when it comes to Sky  - as they still offer the same bundle as Virgin media  - but at half the price for 1 year - 12 calendar months  - the big problem is  - there supplier  - as Sky piggies back on a telephone line shared with EIR and Vodaphone - the old copper phone line that is in the ground without the shielding of a ducking pipe  - these cables have been in the ground for 40 + years  - so you can imagine the deterioration that has occurred  - so - Yes - Sky still sells a telephone service 

0 Kudos
nick_london
Fibre optic
Message 26 of 32
Flag for a moderator

Well for many areas Virgin Media is now offering new customers its voip service, although it’s modern some people with alarms and diallers will have trouble using them on this service, even landline text doesn’t work with VoIP.

There are less faults with the VoIP service though and it would save Virgin Media a lot of money on call outs.

BT is to make the move to IP phone systems by 2025. So I’m sure Ireland will be doing so too. Isle of Man has been done a long time ago.

0 Kudos
marygemmajim
Joining in
Message 27 of 32
Flag for a moderator

Hi Nick - Chorus  - pre Virgin media- had been supplying VOIP service to its customers for 4 years - they were the first to put in a dedicated line to households in the Republic of Ireland  - so when Virgin media took them over  - there wasn't much upgrade required  - we did have teething problems  - and the speed for upload and download are only one third the quoted - the best way check is - connect a laptop to the Virgin media device and use there own software to check the ping - then use screen grab to record  - if anybody using there Broadband is downloading any TV - movies  - music  - please beware  - that while you are on the internet  - your device  - laptop  - mobile - is broadcasting your IP address  - you can easily sort this out by using a IP masking software  - also great for when you are doing online banking 

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 28 of 32
Flag for a moderator

@marygemmajim wrote:

Hi Nick - Chorus  - pre Virgin media- had been supplying VOIP service to its customers for 4 years - they were the first to put in a dedicated line to households in the Republic of Ireland  - so when Virgin media took them over  - there wasn't much upgrade required  - we did have teething problems  - and the speed for upload and download are only one third the quoted - the best way check is - connect a laptop to the Virgin media device and use there own software to check the ping - then use screen grab to record  - if anybody using there Broadband is downloading any TV - movies  - music  - please beware  - that while you are on the internet  - your device  - laptop  - mobile - is broadcasting your IP address  - you can easily sort this out by using a IP masking software  - also great for when you are doing online banking 

You are ahead of us in a few ways down your neck of the woods. VM.ie use IPV6 instead of IPV4, and the network tends to be less congested in urban areas.

Other than that, its basically the same. We can help with equipment on here as the same kit lives in my house that lives in your house, billing etc would have to go through the.ie boards, as staff on here would have no access to the systems that your account will be on.

LOL ive seen a few systems that TRY to merge UK and ROI accounts, believe it or not the biggest stumbling block is postcodes- you guys dont have em we do. SO basically a case of "computer says no"

0 Kudos
marygemmajim
Joining in
Message 29 of 32
Flag for a moderator

Hi Kippies - a million thanks for your kind reply  - yes in some ways we might be a bit ahead  - but still  - it is great to have a forum that can help each other  - we do have postcodes  - but we don't use them much - which is a pity  - as we have software that combines with Google maps to pinpoint your address  - it would of come in to it's own when I was a serving Fire officer  - as it would of brought us straight to the incident  - I have since joining the forum sorted out my disagreement with Virgin media  - now I have Sky in my sight 

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 30 of 32
Flag for a moderator

Hello marygemmajim, 

Thanks for your replies here - I can see that you mention Euros in your post. If you are indeed in the Republic of Ireland then I'm afraid you have joined and posted in the incorrect forum. 

We are only able to assist with accounts for Virgin Media as part of the UK - not Virgin Media Ireland. 

I am so sorry about any confusion caused here - Virgin Media Ireland may very well have different processes when it comes to the UAN - we do not need this as part of Virgin Media. 

Please head on over to www.virginmedia.ie/contact/ to find ways to get the assistance you need. 

Cheers

Katie - Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos