cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

problem receiving calls abroad

colshaws
Joining in

I have just arrived in Ireland, I can make outgoing calls but when my phone rings and I answer I am not connected to the caller in the uk although the call timer shows I am connected. I have data roaming  turned on and I have used thisphone in Ireland before with no problems.

136 REPLIES 136

Hi Joanne, thanks for the message and sorry to hear that you are not receiving calls abroad. 

I will send you a private message so that this can be looked into further. 

Kind regards, Chris. 

Hi Joanne

Basically there is no solution yet and no sign of one anytime soon either. Only Monday of last week, Martin from the Forum Team said on another forum string for exactly the same issue that you're experiencing:

Re: Can't hear international calls

Monday

We can certainly appreciate your frustration with this ongoing issue. We are still investigating this and working to have it resolved as soon as possible. 

^Martin

I see Chris_W1 has responded to your post...they have all clearly been briefed to go through the same processes. He'll PM you, ask lots of security questions, task you with checking lots of settings, probably offer a replacement SIM card, none of which will make any difference whatsoever as has been reported many times on other strings. Nobody will admit what the issue is, but I suspect it is far more fundamental and likely costly which is why I don't believe it is been investigated/solved with any vigour. Customers are being fobbed off with 'We are still investigating this and working to have it resolved as soon as possible.'. Yes, a number of customers will leave them because of this issue, but that's probably cheaper than fixing it. Otherwise why wouldn't they give some kind of explanation that we can understand – when asked for one, I'm just met with a blank response.

Good luck

HI stevenmdavidson, thanks for the message and sorry to hear that you are having issues with the calls. 

Has Martin been able to get everything resolved for you. 

Kind regards Chris

Hi 

Many thanks for all this info Steve.

It is very frustrating as I too keep getting fobbed off with the same response.

@Virgin - Can someone please respond to this thread and all the others with a detailed response as to what you are actually doing to resolve this fundamental inability to provide the service you had said you would provide in my contract.

It is clear that you are in breach of contract by not providing the service that I signed up to.

I have raised this problem numerous times and am still no further along with a resolution.  I am paying to be able to use my mobile whilst in Ireland and you are not able to fulfill your obligation.

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Many thanks

Joanne

Hi Chris_W1

Surely you're joking...have you even read my post? Does 'We are still investigating this and working to have it resolved as soon as possible.' sound like the issue has been resolved? Are you a Bot or human?

Hi Joanne

I tried emailing this to Jon Fawcett Head of Mobile Product at Virgin Media last week but it bounced back on [MOD EDIT: Removed] and I haven't had time or inclination to try other variations of the email address. There's also Jeanie York Chief Technology Officer at Virgin Media O2 of anyone has email addresses, maybe they can shed light on the problem and reply sensibly to their customers.

Hi Jon Fawcett

Apologies for troubling you with this issue, but as someone who was previously 'Responsible for developing Virgin Mobile’s technical and capability roadmap…’ I’m confident that you will know where to direct my email. Despite numerous approaches to Virgin Media’s Community help forums and on twitter no resolution has been found to a problem that is affecting many of your mobile phone customers and has been for a number of months. Indeed, many (most) of your Forum Team members have responded on this issue, but are either powerless or incapable of finding a solution from those within your organisation tasked with resolving technical issues.

The problem is quite straightforward to explain. When abroad I (and many others) can use our Virgin mobile phones as normal except when receiving a voice call, the caller is unable to hear our voice. Sometimes we can hear the caller's voice and sometimes not, but never is the caller able to hear our voice – they then hang up. The problem has been widely reported by many customers for many months and all we hear is that it’s a known issue and is being investigated. All possible solutions have been tried by many customers from changing phone settings, changing phone make/model, removing and replacing SIM cards, replacement SIM cards etc but none of this works. It isn’t just a single country either as customers have reported this after visiting a number of different countries.

Ideally I want a solution, but in the absence of that I’d like a detailed response demonstrating what steps have been taken at a senior level to resolve the issue and that someone with authority is taking ownership of it. Currently it appears to be like a game of ping pong with the problem batted about between your Forum Team members and the same narrative trotted out over and over to your long suffering customers. 

Regards

Steve 

Hi Steve

Many thanks for all this info.

@Virgin  Can someone reply with the name and email address of the Head of Mobile Product and also the name and email address of the Chief Technology Officer please so I can contact them directly.

I imagine many other customers will also be grateful for these contact details to express their frustration with this ongoing saga that seems to bounce from one team member to another with no ownership taken that there is a fundamental flaw in the technology.

Many thanks

Joanne

Hi Joannemitchell, thanks for the reply. 

Would you be able to reply to the private message so that this can be looked into further?

Kind regards, Chris. 

Hi Joanne

If you manage to get anywhere, can you please post on this string and/or the strings below which also relate to the same problem: 

Can't hear international calls

No service abroad

All the best

Steve

Hi Joannemitchell, thanks for the message. 

We have not received your reply to the PM yet, please reply at your earliest convenience 

Kind regards, Chris.