Menu
paulwest2
Joining in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

picture text sent to canada and U.S.A

Hi

I have just checked my bill and k have been charged for picture text sent to Canada and america.What's going on I've noticed quiet a few people with the same problem.the only picture text i send is to my wife's forging mobile and my dads Virginia mobile.

Please find out for me

Regards

Paul

0 Kudos
paulchambers061
Problem sorter
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: picture text sent to canada and U.S.A

do you have the number that it was sent to?

here was another question yesterday that turned out to be mcafee antivirus sending messages to the us

0 Kudos
teabag
Superstar
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

This quite often crops up, usually it's a text sent to a email address instead of a phone number - have a look at your bill and see if date/time ties up with a text you sent.

---------------------------------------------------------------
BB 200 - Hub 3, Phone Talk w/ends, Mobile Sim only. Customer since 1993.
0 Kudos
Sphextre
Just joined
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Similar experience, I matched dates and times to text or picture messages inadvertently sent to one of my contacts for whom I had only a (UK) email address, and no phone number. There is a very brief warning on screen that the message is being converted to multimedia message (MMS). It seems that the text messaging system (whether on the phone or at the provider is not clear) automatically does this and attempts delivery by forwarding the MMS through a remote email server, which seems to be in America or Canada. The billing system assumes that MMS are picture messages and charges accordingly.

I explained this to a customer service person, after she asserted at tedious length that these were charges correctly applied, to a message that I must have sent to an American contact, etc. etc. When I eventually got a word in, she recognised and confirmed the scenario I outlined above, and agreed to waive the charges this one time.

There is no warning that this might happen, and no reason to believe that sending a text from UK to a UK email address should incur an international message charge, so I believe such a charge is unreasonable and should be challenged every time. To avoid it happening inadvertently I suggest ensuring that all contacts saved on the phone should include a phone number - if necessary a dummy one. (Ofcom provide a list of unallocated numbers for use in drama productions; I assume they do not connect and so are not charged)

0 Kudos
paulchambers061
Problem sorter
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

All true that. I believe the sms to mms conversion (for when an email address is used) is down to how sms and mms work.

I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong, sms uses the phone signal, and mms uses data.

0 Kudos