Menu
Cheesewheel
Joining in
Message 11 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Re: WHY DOES VIRGIN STAND OUT AND CHARGE 40 PENCE FOR AN EMOJI ON TEXTING?

Its not only Virgin that charge for emojis, I have an iPhone on 02 on a pay monthly contract which has unlimited texts, but I will get charged 50p for texts that contain emojis, 50p being the standard rate for mms messages, I only found out about this three days ago. I think its a bit petty to charge customers for emojis, as a iPhone user you're actively encouraged to use them, with their sticker packs, memogis and other crap, now that I know I'll get charged extra I will not use them from now on.
0 Kudos
teabag
Superstar
Message 12 of 18
Flag for a moderator

@Cheesewheel

Turn off MMS in your iPhone settings

https://ee.co.uk/help/phones-and-device/apple/apple-iphone-SE/apple-iphone-SE-calls-messaging-and-em...

---------------------------------------------------------------
BB 200 - Hub 3, Phone Talk w/ends, Mobile Sim only. Customer since 1993.
0 Kudos
Cheesewheel
Joining in
Message 13 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the tip of disabling MMS, I don't mind being charged extra for sending photo's because its a justifiable reason, but I think emojis on the other hand  are a grey area, emojis are created using the phones keyboard, as does every other letter or symbol, so by their very definition cannot be constituted as a attachment ,as a photo quite rightly is.  I think its a loophole that mobile carriers like to exploit 

0 Kudos
paulchambers061
Problem sorter
Message 14 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Found this on a forum, explaining why emojis get sent as mms. 

"The SMS is strictly limited to 160 ordinary characters & it is a worldwide standard across telephony. It makes use of the gaps between normal telephone signals, and that is why it is so cheap. An MMS is data in the real sense, and that's why you need mobile data on to use them. Emoticons and other such things are not ordinary characters, and that is why they are converted into MMS"

0 Kudos
Cheesewheel
Joining in
Message 15 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Thanks Paul for clearing that up, I shall no longer use emoticons and run up unwelcome charges because of them in future
0 Kudos
captainnancy
Joining in
Message 16 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Hello
I haave a Sony Experia and I'm having the same problem. I wonder if you can post a method for me to make the same changes? It would be much appreciated. Thank you.
0 Kudos
happywithmy350
Well-informed
Message 17 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Yes it is - so use whatsapp which is not only free in your contract but also has free silly faces in it
0 Kudos
Cheesewheel
Joining in
Message 18 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Hi Captainnancy

After doing some research I have found that  all mobile providers charge for emoji's at their MMS rates, so Virgin Mobile doesn't really stand out, i.e.  I have a iPhone on 02 and they charge 50p when you use emojis and stickers and all the other crap that comes with iMessage, so, other than using WhatsApp, which I don't use either, theres no other way that I know of to avoid these charges  other than simply avoid using emojis. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

Hope this helps

0 Kudos