Menu
Emclarke
On our wavelength
Message 11 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Re: Virgin Mobile compared to EE

David i would not choose vm as your mobile provider. Little or no signal indoors or even outside my property i was on ee before and had full coverage where ever i went... just search on here or on google and see how.many complaints it brings up about network coverage with virgin mobile i would suggest 3 mobile or.staying with ee

0 Kudos
happywithmy350
Well-informed
Message 12 of 21
Flag for a moderator

I'd suggest giving it a go and see how you get on - everyone has a different experience and you have 14 days to cancel if it's not great. 

0 Kudos
japitts
Super solver
Message 13 of 21
Flag for a moderator

@happywithmy350 wrote:

I'd suggest giving it a go and see how you get on - everyone has a different experience and you have 14 days to cancel if it's not great. 

Very true, although there are some sensible checks you can make beforehand. Informed buyers etc.

0 Kudos
happywithmy350
Well-informed
Message 14 of 21
Flag for a moderator

I came from EE so I already knew what the deal was. I've not been disappointed at all by what I get. I do see your point however and agree 🙂
0 Kudos
japitts
Super solver
Message 15 of 21
Flag for a moderator

@happywithmy350 wrote:
I came from EE so I already knew what the deal was. I've not been disappointed at all by what I get. I do see your point however and agree 🙂

I guess my bugbear isn't Virgin-specific, but it's against all MVNOs in the (admittedly minority) cases where a customer might well be relying on certain aspects of a main-network's service which isn't available on the MVNO. 4G800 is one, WiFi calling is another, and a few other small examples spring to mind.

MVNOs are never going to advertise such things, it's not in their nature and understandably so. The network's disconnections CS may highlight it, but customers may not realise and why should they?! I've had friends who have moved to an MVNO on the (understandable) assumption of service being the same, lost coverage and been thoroughly confused as to why. I've listened to the subsequent call said friend has made to MVNO-CS who have utterly sworn blind that what they were describing was impossible.

Some MVNOs are far worse than others in this regard, but I would like to see all providers have to openly list which of their host networks' services they do and don't offer. What a customer chooses to do with that is then entirely upto them, but at the moment the market is far too reactive for my liking. I'd even lay some of the blame at EE's door (in the specific case of VM) in not making a slightly bigger deal of "extended" coverage on their own coverage checker, but I understand there may be other reasons here.

0 Kudos
Jacksonsteve
Joining in
Message 16 of 21
Flag for a moderator

received_2144979295524991.jpeg

Considering virgin use EE network how do you explain these two speed tests, EE on the left and virgin 4g on the right. 1-3 mbps is the average I'm getting, the EE proves this is not a signal issue, it's basically virgin slowing the strength of their 4g.  I have the virgin sim in a 4g wifi box with the phone connected to it. Luckily I'm out of contract so they'll be getting a cancellation call from me.

Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 17 of 21
Flag for a moderator

It's got complicated since Virgin moved from being a simple MNVO  to a Thick MNVO so that means they now control a lot of the background stuff. What this is we don't fully know, but these problems seen to have increased since the change.

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

0 Kudos
happywithmy350
Well-informed
Message 18 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Well, the phone on the right is on wifi for a start... and is downloading things in the background, as it would have a tick instead of a down arrow if it was done

Running them together at the same time is pointless - they are both using the same frequency.

I used to get 250mbps+ on EE and paid £68 for 100GB - now I get 300GB for £20 on VM and my average is always 60+ and I get 71-75 late at night. I see it as sticking it to EE on how expensive they are. I would go with unlimited and screw it even more - but I don't plan to stay with VM residential forever.

I'm more than happy.
0 Kudos
Luxardo1
Joining in
Message 19 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Why is one signal coming from Nottingham and the other from Hull ?

0 Kudos
Roger_Gooner
Community elder
Message 20 of 21
Flag for a moderator

@japitts wrote:

@happywithmy350 wrote:

Some MVNOs are far worse than others in this regard, but I would like to see all providers have to openly list which of their host networks' services they do and don't offer.

I don't see this happening unless mandated by Ofcom.

--
Hub 3.0, TP-Link Archer C8, TP-Link TL-SG1008D 8-port gigabit switch, V6
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM Broadband Connection
0 Kudos