Menu
ashjam88
Tuning in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Royal mail lost returned phone

Royal Mail have lost a  phone I returned within grace period due to another provider basically tricking me into staying with them. I went to post office with a virgin pre paid jiffy bag - 5 weeks later it is not delivered and the tracking shows the post office have it, then it stops.  Clearly someone has stolen it. I have a complaints number - Royal Mail say they  need to deal with Virgin direct as it was a pre-paid bag but Virgin advise they will not do this and I need to sort it with Royal Mail, who refuse.

can someone from Virgin please tell me what it is I need to do. This is causing myself and my family to be upset and scared at these threatening letters.

mike25
On our wavelength
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: Royal mail lost returned phone

If you think VM are bad then just wait till you deal with Royal Mail - they have centuries of experience of dodging responsibility. We had a phone damaged in transit and VM told us to contact RM about it ... but the thing is RM do not have a contract with us but with VM so they cannot even start to look into it. 

You can contact the police and report the item stolen - nobody will investigate but at least you could then use that information to convince VM to take it up with RM. 

I would contact your bank as ask them to refund any money and then ask VM to cancel the contract - as the item was lost while under VM's sub-contractors care and so they are responsible.

And I am not a lawyer but for as little as one months line rental (£25) you can make an online court claim if they mess you about. Now that's serious value £25 and you can ask for compensation to cover reasonable costs ....

0 Kudos
ashjam88
Tuning in
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the advice - I phoned citizens advice and got some great help. There is no way we are paying for this and will take it the whole way. 

0 Kudos
Lotty321
Tuning in
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Hi Ashjam88,

I would be interested to know if you resolved this issue as I have the same problem! I returned an iPhone during the 14 day cooling off period and it was stolen while in the care of the Royal Mail. About a week later the now empty phone box was returned to me with Royal Mail tape on it saying 'Found opened of damaged'. Contacted Virgin Mobile who they said they would investigate, therefore I thought they would contact Royal Mail. However VM did nothing. I was told they do not have any arrangements with Royal Mail for this situation and that I had to pay the full contract cost as the phone was not returned. I refused to do this and refused the £50 'goodwill credit'. The issue was escalated at VM and they sent me a Deadlock letter advising I go to adjudicators CISAS. I also contacted Royal Mail who tell me I should not need to go to adjudication as Virgin Media (the retailer) does have an agreement with RM and it's Virgin Media's responsibility to contact RM. They stated I should not be liable for any costs. Royal Mail told me to go back to VM but I'm not sure I will get much further than last time. So wondering if I should apply for adjudication as, if justice is done, VM should be ordered to sort out the situation. Telegraph article suggests contacting Virgin's chief executive Tom Mockridge as a possible avenue when attempting to resolve a dispute with the company. Getting desperate, any suggestions welcome, thanks.

0 Kudos