Menu
megham2997
Joining in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Data Charges Abroad

I recently travelled to California for two weeks and did not use any mobile data- only wi-fi and a few texts to UK number over my 2 week trip. However, Virgin Mobile have charged me for using my mobile data at a cost of £80.  Ironically, the time at which these charges were incurred were when I was onboard a Virgin Atlantic aeroplane between LDN-->SFO and vice versa. On the plane- we had wi-fi available- which I used for around an hour each way. My phone was in aeroplane mode, mobile data was off and I always have wi-fi assist off. There is no plausible way that these charges could have incurred whilst I was in the air. 

As a result of this big bill, virgin have blocked my phone. Please can this be unblocked and the charges taken off my next bill.

0 Kudos
teabag
Superstar
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: Data Charges Abroad

I can't answer how this happened 😞

But can say that if this happened during a one month billing period, Virgin have messed up.  During a one month billing period, a cap of £51.50 is set for data roaming usage, once hit you will receive a text and will need to text back to go over that set limit  https://www.virginmedia.com/help/virgin-mobile-roaming-usa-and-canada

---------------------------------------------------------------
BB 200 - Hub 3, Phone Talk w/ends, Mobile Sim only. Customer since 1993.
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hello Megham2997

Welcome to our community and thank you for your post.

Apologies for the unexpected data charges you have received, but do hope you enjoyed your holiday.

Can we please just confirm, when in airplane mode were you still able to connect to WiFi? As with the majority of mobile handsets, when in airplane mode the WiFi is made inactive so would not have been accessible. 

Can you please also let us know, did you manually switch the mobile data off before your travels or were you relying on airplane mode to do this for you?

Thank you, Emily

0 Kudos
megham2997
Joining in
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi Emily,

initially I turned airplane mode on, which turns off WiFi, mobile data and Bluetooth. But, you can then select which one you want to turn on (on iPhone) and I turned on wi-fi only for around an hour there and back on the plane (as I purchased virgin Atlantic WiFi whilst in the air).

i manually switched mobile data off in settings as previously, as I have heard virgin mobile horror stories onovercharging on data etc.

I have since been in touch via telephone and some charges have been withdrawn from the £81.50 as Virgin mobile never contacted me with regards to the DATA CAP. Therefore breaching their obligations to me.

However, I would like the rest of the charges taken off from when i was in the air as I did NOT use any mobile data as it was inaccessible whilst flying over the Atlantic.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Did you switch off Data whilst on board the plane or was this done before you left the UK?

As there would be no way for you to receive data charges unless this was still active. 

Alex_Rm

0 Kudos
megham2997
Joining in
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi Alex,

I switched this off before I took off (in the UK). That is exactly my point, how can this have happened?!

I had it off the entire holiday- which is why i was not even aware until I got back to the UK that my phone had been BLOCKED.

It was impossible for me to have got mobile phone signal across the Atlantic at the times of which i was charged for data. I have evidence that i was in the air and would like a full refund of these charges.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for confirming the details we've asked.

I'd like to take a closer look at your account, so I'm going to pop you a private message. Just click on the envelope icon at the top of the screen.

Thanks

Melissa

0 Kudos