Menu
Simonw2008
Joining in
Message 11 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Re: Band 20 800mhz

Thanks for that. I've been looking at other providers - the problem is I use a lot of data to watch TV and Virgin was cheap - £20 for 100 Gb which rolls over. Just a shame you cant use it anywhere remote! Anyway I'm going to pursue this through CISAS now as I have all Virgins statements about supporting 800 Mhz in writing. I'll let you know how I get on.

0 Kudos
japitts
Problem sorter
Message 12 of 13
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

I had a webchat with one of Virgin Mobile's sales agents yesterday on an unrelated subject, but as part of it they swore blind to me that they had their own network that had faster 4G than EE (quoted 70Mbps top speed for VM vs 60Mbps for EE). I had to ask the same question several different ways to get them to confirm, but they were definitely adamant they were a network operator. So if one of their agents said they support 800Mhz, I'm not in the slightest bit surprised.

As an aside, I had a trawl around the mobile site, and VM seem to have removed all references to "we use EE" so I suspect they are trying to position themselves alongside the big network operators.

I appreciate others have posted links of third party websites that are incorrectly reporting Virgin support for Band 20, but if there's any reference on the official VM website I'd be amazed. In their defence, the whole site (but mobile especially) is very well-worded where it matters. If anyone fancies checking on the VM/EE maps - a postcode I often use is IV22 2JX - I travel around this corner of the Highlands 2 or 3 times a year and EE only has 4G coverage on 800Mhz, otherise 2G only.

0 Kudos
Simonw2008
Joining in
Message 13 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for that.

I've put in my complaint to CISAS (OFCOM) now so I'll let you know how I get on.

I chatted with EE earlier to try to get a definitive answer and they also pointed me to 4g.co.uk which, as was pointed out in a post above, now clearly states on all its pages that Virgin don't offer 800 Mhz. Anyway I've cancelled my Virgin contract now as I found a BT offer for 100 Gb for £20 this morning (with £75 reward card).

0 Kudos