carnivalist
Superfast
Message 61 of 142
Flag for a moderator

Re: Tivo tuners missing from info

T

@keithse wrote:

@Pamela-- wrote:

Yes, but we lose our recorded programmes- this has happened to me twice before. Won't have tivo box back if they want to replace it! Will find a way to save some of the recordings (I can do this with Panasonic recorder again) 

But if you leave VM then you'll lose your recordings as well!   Unless you've archived them off to your Panasonic (which you're not really meant to do), in which case you could change to a V6 because you'd have saved your recordings!

You can also keep your old TiVo alongside the V6 for a little while (for a small charge) and then watch the older recordings from it before returning it.

Keith

The charge is £9 plus £100 if they won't remove the installation fee. That is not a small charge if you are on a low income. Getting a second box will trigger a new contract, so you have to keep both boxes for a year, which means at least an extra £108 = £208 if you're unlucky.

Add to that the cost of a new TV if you don't already have a 2nd one. Kind of pointless having both boxes connected to the same TV.

0 Kudos
MrsE34
On our wavelength
Message 62 of 142
Flag for a moderator

Carnivalist, when my husband phoned up to move to a lower priced package, they said we wouldn't be able to access our recordings any more. I could understand if we no longer had access to those channels, but all the recordings?! We've been customers for years, and never been asked to renew our contract either. It's so expensive, and they just keep putting the price up, I haven't noticed any improvements in all the years we've been a customer, so I don't know what the extra cost is for. I shall write to them, I prefer to put things in writing anyway. I've also been a member of Which for years and I'm going to contact them about it too, but of course I need to contact Virgin first and see what they have to say for themselves. At the least, the bill should go down as it's a significantly reduced service.

carnivalist
Superfast
Message 63 of 142
Flag for a moderator

@MrsE34 wrote:

Carnivalist, when my husband phoned up to move to a lower priced package, they said we wouldn't be able to access our recordings any more. I could understand if we no longer had access to those channels, but all the recordings?! We've been customers for years, and never been asked to renew our contract either. It's so expensive, and they just keep putting the price up, I haven't noticed any improvements in all the years we've been a customer, so I don't know what the extra cost is for. I shall write to them, I prefer to put things in writing anyway. I've also been a member of Which for years and I'm going to contact them about it too, but of course I need to contact Virgin first and see what they have to say for themselves. At the least, the bill should go down as it's a significantly reduced service.

Everyone - please follow Mrs E34's example and WRITE. And please also bite the bullet and do so if you are infuriated by this nonsense as many of us are. Make sure you let them know if like me, you are determined to leave at the first opportunity if that is how you feel. If you suffer in silence they will continue to pull strokes like this.

If anyone wilts at the thought of writing here is what I have just composed. If you think it is suitable you can copy paste and adapt it as you wish to save time. Not to Labour the point, but please, please do and encourage anyone you know who is a thoroughly cheesed off as myself to do so.

Virgin Media Head Office
Griffin House
161 Hammersmith Road
Hammersmith
London W6 8BS

21 November 2018

re Complaint - RC2 Tivo Update 20 November 2018 resulting in significant downgrade in functionality.

Dear Sir or Madam,

I wish to complain about the serious downgrade in functionality as a result of the recent Tivo update.

To my fury and horror, for some inexplicable reason you have removed the ability to buffer the three Tivo channels and switch between the three tuners by pressing "Info" then pressing "R" on the mini menu. You can now only pause and rewind the channel you are already watching.

To add insult to injury the channel now stops buffering when you leave the channel for any reason - i.e if you switch to On Demand you can no longer pause the existing tuner and/or rewind after you finish watching the On Demand program.

Offering to replace my TIvo with the V6 which still has the multi-tuner buffering is not remotely a solution. I suspect it will also be deeply unsatisfactory for huge numbers of customers. Have you failed to appreciate that many people will have recordings they want to keep, or are you trying to force customers into giving up Tivos before they are obsolete, even if we are happy with them?

Admittedly my Tivo is now a little faster, but this is extremely cold comfort when the price is loss of an excellent function that I and many others relied on daily.

My blood is absolutely boiling over this - had I known this was coming I would never have renewed my contract. I appreciate I have been offered a V6 as a second box for no installation fee, but this still means an extra £9 a month, only shortly after I downgraded my package to save money. Moreover I live alone and this would involve getting a second TV that I can't really afford and don't really need when I am on a low income.

Given that RBK&C housing have installed an excellent service that will soon allow me centrally distributed Freeview, Freesat and Sky with no aerials, dishes or other infrastructure required, removing the need for an installation fee for Sky,  it will be impossible to justify paying a premium to Virgin when my contract comes to an end.

It seems my only alternative is to wait 9 months and leave, or pay a large sum of money to leave now. I absolutely will leave eventually if this functionality isn't restored. There is now far less difference between the Tivo and a simple freeview box - certainly not enough to justify paying a premium.

Moreover If Virgin can do this once you can do it again - what is the point of renewing next year if you can simply downgrade the V6 or any subsequent box whenever you feel like it? How do I know you won't remove some similarly major functionality or other on your broadband provision and so on?

Yours faithfully

japitts
Knows their stuff
Message 64 of 142
Flag for a moderator

@carnivalist wrote:

Do Sky have the multi-channel buffer option that the Tivo has lost? Are there any freeview boxes that do this?

And there is the thousand-dollar question. If other providers have this functionality and customers were to leave for those providers as a direct results, then that's one argument. But I suspect it's a USP.

Fortunately this software hasn't hit my area yet, but I'm sure it's only a matter of time before I'm also annoyed.

chops
Rising star
Message 65 of 142
Flag for a moderator

@carnivalist wrote:

What an utter joke. How on earth can this ridiculous company force an update that significantly DOWNGRADES its service? 

Offering to replace the TIvos with the V6 will not remotely be a solution for huge numbers of customers. Are they completely dim and so don't appreciate that many people will have recordings they want to keep, or are they being appallingly sly and trying to force customers into giving up Tivos even if they are happy with them?

My blood is absolutely boiling over this - had I known this was coming I'd never have renewed my contract. I suppose I'm more fortunate than most people on this thread as they offered to give me a V6 as a second box and waive the installation, but this still means an extra £9 a month, only shortly after I downgraded my package to save money. Moreover I live alone and this would involve getting a second TV that I don't really need when I am on a low income.

The only alternative is to wait 9 months and leave, or pay a shedload of money to leave now. I absolutely will leave if this functionality isn't restored. If Virgin can do this once they can do it again - what's the point of renewing next year if Virgin can simply downgrade the V6 or any subsequent box whenever they feel like it? HOw do I know they won't remove some functionality or other on their broadband and so on? What utter swear words this company is.

I urge people to write to Virgin complaints and do it by signed for mail for less than a quid. Phoning/e-mailing is futile and is less hassle for them anyway. Please don't leave it and suffer in silence - a short description of your anger and letting them know you won't be renewing will do

The address is; 

Virgin Media Head Office
Griffin House
161 Hammersmith Road
Hammersmith
London W6 8BS

Just a couple of questions.

Do Sky have the multi-channel buffer option that the Tivo has lost? Are there any freeview boxes that do this?

Not sure about  Sky Q but the older HD boxes had 3 tuners - only the one being viewed would have a buffer of up to approx 60 min

Buggytivo
On our wavelength
Message 66 of 142
Flag for a moderator

Clearly we have been dumped on yet again by awful virgin media. One final time for me. Degrade buggy service and put up pricing is all they capable to do. For two months I complain and they pleed ignorant and not even apologise. Blaiming customers for lack of understanding. I used these feature every day!!! Pathetic. Complaining just go straight in the bin. Where was the notice period for taking features away? Where is apology and compensation? Where is even any respect or empathy for customers? Horrible awful company. Shame on them. Goodbye. Now they want to take over Flybe too, another company I will no longer trust to use.

skullyman
Settling in
Message 67 of 142
Flag for a moderator

The whole point is that the tuners were never idle but recording live tv on three channels.  That enables users, for instance, to leave a channel and return without losing the "cached" tv, among many other uses.

Give me another explanation for this frustratingly useless "upgrade" that doesn't belittle my intelligence

HairyFacedHuman
Rising star
Message 68 of 142
Flag for a moderator

@skullyman wrote:

The whole point is that the tuners were never idle but recording live tv on three channels.  That enables users, for instance, to leave a channel and return without losing the "cached" tv, among many other uses.

Give me another explanation for this frustratingly useless "upgrade" that doesn't belittle my intelligence

The most important thing for a company or business is profit. The best way to make a profit is to force the customer to upgrade and pay more for the service. Slowly make sure that the older devices stop working properly. Most people will eventually upgrade and pay more. That's just the way things are.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I'm normal... Everyone else is weird
kayjayr
On our wavelength
Message 69 of 142
Flag for a moderator

Don't just use it to see what's recording, I use it all the time to check a tuner is on a channel I want to flick to as I watch Soaps in delay cos I'm too busy making tea & so I put a tuner on BBC1 ready so I can rewind back to the beginning of Eastenders & leave the other tuner on ITV so I can go back to watch Coronation St/Emmerdale in delay. Surely, the other options don't get used as much like the audio description & the language setting I think it is as I don't use that which only certain viewers would use but the 3 tuner option must be used by a lot more.
Superuser
Superuser
Message 70 of 142
Flag for a moderator

@kayjayr wrote:
Don't just use it to see what's recording, I use it all the time to check a tuner is on a channel I want to flick to as I watch Soaps in delay cos I'm too busy making tea & so I put a tuner on BBC1 ready so I can rewind back to the beginning of Eastenders & leave the other tuner on ITV so I can go back to watch Coronation St/Emmerdale in delay. Surely, the other options don't get used as much like the audio description & the language setting I think it is as I don't use that which only certain viewers would use but the 3 tuner option must be used by a lot more.

Frustrating as it is when functionality that you've been using is removed, at least your example can be covered by you setting series links for Eastenders, Corrie and Emmerdale.

And, if VM's technical reasoning for this change is taken at face value then it was done to reduce the "load" on the (now pretty old) TiVos of having them constantly buffer three things - audio description & language settings definitely don't put such a constant background "strain" on the box (not to mention audio description being crucial to some partially sighted people!)

Keith

Superuser1718.png