Menu
Sp00ny
Joining in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Pause and resume On Demand

Hi, i'm new to Virgin TV, and there are a number of things I need help with please (yes I've tried ringing Virgin and its as if they know less than me). Its a TiVo box DXC960:

1) When watching a film or programme on demand, if i pause it for more than 10 minutes, it decides to time out and return to whatever I was watching before; how do i turn this off?

2) When trying to resume playback of a film or programme I have already part-watched (see #1 above), how do I resume from the place I left it, rather than play from the start?

3) When watching a box set, how do I know which episodes I have already watched?

4) When watching a Sky Cinema movie from On Demand, there appears to be no subtitles on any film, is that correct?

Any help with these questions would be greatly received. I have others but these are my top 4...

Thanks

0 Kudos
japitts
Problem sorter
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: Pause and resume On Demand

I'll try to take some of these in order...

@Sp00ny wrote:

Hi, i'm new to Virgin TV, and there are a number of things I need help with please (yes I've tried ringing Virgin and its as if they know less than me). Its a TiVo box DXC960:

1) When watching a film or programme on demand, if i pause it for more than 10 minutes, it decides to time out and return to whatever I was watching before; how do i turn this off?

You can't, the timeout is network-controlled/software-set. The only way of pausing longer than 10minutes is to be playing from a recorded show. BBC iPlayer stuff will drop the live stream after about 5 minutes.

@Sp00ny wrote:

2) When trying to resume playback of a film or programme I have already part-watched (see #1 above), how do I resume from the place I left it, rather than play from the start?

When you're at the screen to "play now", there should be an option to "Resume playing" - the only exception being, that you got to within 5 minutes of the end.

@Sp00ny wrote:

3) When watching a box set, how do I know which episodes I have already watched?

It depends where you're playing from. If you're just navigating through the VOD listings and playing from there, you can't bookmark. What I'd recommend is to "bookmark" entire series and this places a shortcut into your "My shows" folder. You can then delete each individual shortcut as you watch it.

@Sp00ny wrote:

4) When watching a Sky Cinema movie from On Demand, there appears to be no subtitles on any film, is that correct?

I understand this to be correct. I tend to record Sky Cinema if it's any film I'm half-serious about, but I've never got subtitles to work on Cinema VOD stuff.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Hi there Sp00ny, 

Welcome to our family and to our Community Forums; thanks so much for your first post 🙂 

I can see that japitts has already supplied you with the correct answers to your questions so I hope that they have helped you out a bit more 🙂 

I wanted to pop along to offer you our userguide in PDF form which you can read at your leisure 🙂 It will help you get to know your new box and get the best out of it! virg.in/V6user

We also have a Help section on the box itself - just head to:

HOME> Help& Settings> Help

It's got lots of help videos, step by step guides, hints and tips and also a section on Customer News 🙂 

Hope that does help you out but if you need anything else, you know where we are!

Cheers

Katie - Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
N4th4n
Joining in
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Hi, I’m experiencing a similar problem and have been told by the call centre there is no such feature. If I watch part a film on demand or a box set and come back to it the next day it will start back at the beginning. I have read other posts that say it should give the option to resume. However mine does not, it just says watch now and then I have to select either sky had or sky, and it has subscribed next to both.

0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired) Gina_M
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Hi N4th4n,

Thank you for reaching Virgin Community.

The above conversations, Jappits already provided the answer to your question as to why.

When you're at the screen to "play now", there should be an option to "Resume playing" - the only exception being, that you got to within 5 minutes of the end. 

Please keep us posted, and let us know if there's anything else that we can help you with.

Thanks,

Gina_M

0 Kudos