Menu
spelly
Joining in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

No Sound

Hi I have a fairly new Sony Bravia TV which is linked to my Tivo via HDMI cable only. 

When I change channels on my Virgin remote occasionally there is no sound coming from the channel I have chosen. To try and resolve I have to go out of the channel and go back into it but this does not always work. 

The channels which I sometimes get no sound from all commonly display "Stereo 3840x2160p". The channels that always work ok display "Stereo Dolby Digital 3840x2160p". 

Has anybody experienced this issue with their Sony/Tivo. Any advice on how I resolve would be appreciated. 

I noticed a settings option where one option is DOLBY DIGITAL and a second option is DOLBY DIGITAL TO PCM.

I am currently on Dolby Digital option but to be honest do not really understand what each option really means, more so the one saying PCM. 

Thanks again. 

Regards.

Spelly

0 Kudos
spelly
Joining in
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: No Sound

sorry just for clarity my Tivo is a V6 box

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

try setting to pcm, pcm is just bog standard stereo 

Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Hi spelly, 

Thank you for getting in touch. 

I am really sorry you're having problems with the audio. Was the pcm suggestion helpful? 

Thanks, 

Hetty_R
0 Kudos
spelly
Joining in
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Hi Hetty, 

Yes the PCM option does appear to work with no loss of sound since switching to PCM on the V6 box when watching my new 4k tv.....so that is good 

However I still do not understand what exactly this PCM function means ?

My sound only comes through the TV speakers and I wonder if there is a difference in quality between the 2 options which are "Dolby Digital" and "Dolby Digital to PCM". Or will I never notice a difference through the TV speakers. 

I suspect installing a Sound Bar would be where the differences would be really noted. Any insight on this topic is appreciated. 

Thanks.

0 Kudos