Menu
Karim347
Joining in
Message 1 of 19
Flag for a moderator

I need a different router than the Virgin one

Hi everyone , I have currently the basic Virgin Router installed.I believe it is the hub 3.

I am not happy with the functionality , I want a button to switch off the WiFi without switching off the router, as my computer link with the router on Ethernet cable .

I want to be able to switch of the beam of radiation at night and when I don't need it.

Could you tell me what characteristic must have the router ,if I buy a branded one to work with the Virgin network.

Thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Re: I need a different router than the Virgin one

turning off wifi will not change the amount of radio waves you are exposed to. will you also turn off the TV masts, Mobile towers. Mobiles phones of everyone bluetooth and 1000's of other things

0 Kudos
chenks
Wise owl
Message 3 of 19
Flag for a moderator

@Karim347 wrote:

I want to be able to switch of the beam of radiation at night and when I don't need it.

for what reasoning?

0 Kudos
chenks
Wise owl
Message 4 of 19
Flag for a moderator

@apcyberax wrote:
turning off wifi will not change the amount of radio waves you are exposed to. will you also turn off the TV masts, Mobile towers. Mobiles phones of everyone bluetooth and 1000's of other things

probably easier to just buy a roll of tin foil and wear it as a hat.

0 Kudos
Karim347
Joining in
Message 5 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Yes it will as the exposure depends of the distance, from the emitter.if I cannot cancel the exposure it is possible to reduce it .

@apcyberax wrote:

0 Kudos
Karim347
Joining in
Message 6 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Because WiFi and radio wave is not good for the health and it is better to reduce the exposure if possible

0 Kudos
DreamOfCheese
Rising star
Message 7 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Exposure is not as simple as distance, it's relative to transmit power. The transmit power of wireless access points is very low so as to meet European regulations, people in the US have much higher allowable transmit powers than we do.

There is no need to shield yourself from these as they're non-ionizing radiation at a very low transmit power. Freeview is transmitted between 10,000 and 200,000 kilowatts depending on the channel, home Wi-Fi is transmitted at a maximum of 100 milliwatts (or 0.0001 kilowatts for comparison.)
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 8 of 19
Flag for a moderator

there is no evidence of that.

From all evidence accumulated so far, no adverse short- or long-term health effects have been shown to occur from the RF signals produced by base stations. Since wireless networks produce generally lower RF signals than base stations, no adverse health effects are expected from exposure to them.

0 Kudos
Karim347
Joining in
Message 9 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for this précisions....but the impact of the radio waves on the human body is still being debated and unfortunately there is some evidence that even the WiFi is not safe ...

But thanks for the information

0 Kudos
Karim347
Joining in
Message 10 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Evidence have been produced sorry

0 Kudos