Menu
LuckyMan1
Joining in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Help sort out this terrible service

Hello.

I discovered yesterday morning that we had no broadband service at all. So that’s no tv, telephone or internet. The irritatingly chirpy voice message on the customer line said it would be back on by 4.30 (why is it always 4.30??). I called it from my mobile which means I need to stand in the garden to get a signal.

4.30 came and went so I called again and the infuriating message had changed to say Virgin were aware of the fault in our area and they were working on it. No suggestion of a time scale.

Checked again this morning, still no service so I called to hear the by now stupefyingly annoying message had changed, this time to say someone was on their way to fix the fault. What?! You mean they hadn’t even started work on it??

So I decided to bite the bullet and fight my way through to get to speak to someone in an attempt to extract some sense.

I should explain at this point that my son is doing his GCSE’s so needs the internet, my wife is a teacher so spends most evenings doing her lesson plans on the internet and I am self-employed so virtually live on the internet. Needless to say, this is already a very serious issue.

Finally got to speak to someone via the usual route back to the UK through India. Unbelievably he told me our service would be back on in a week’s time. That’s one week for a teacher, a student and a self-employed designer to have no internet, tv or phone. Obviously this is completely unacceptable. To add to this appalling service I was offered fifteen quid off my next bill. Thanks Virgin, I feel loads better now.

So my question is - and I realise this is a desperate bid to get this fix moved up from the bottom of someone’s job list, but can one of the Virgin people on these boards please turn this Virgin fiasco into something resembling decent service?

We’ve been with Virgin for well over ten years and there have been occasional problems with the service, but nothing on this scale. Please can someone help with some info at least before I look seriously at getting a new provider.
0 Kudos
Ignition
Trouble shooter
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: Help sort out this terrible service

Sorry I can't help but you really do need to have a redundant back up connection if connectivity is essential.

I have had 2 connections since 2014 as I'm a home worker. It's the only way to go.
0 Kudos
LuckyMan1
Joining in
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

This sounds interesting ignition. How do I get one? Bear in mind my wife is on a primary school teachers salary and my income is around the average uk and I’m not an IT expert. Will it cost an arm and leg? Just a pointer in the right direction will help.
0 Kudos
Tudor
Knows their stuff
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

There are two options:

1 If you are working at home perhaps a business line would be better, comes with a SLA.

2 Get another provider for backup like BT. You will then need something like an Ubiquiti EdgeRouter configured to switch automatically between providers. 

There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't
0 Kudos
LuckyMan1
Joining in
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

So I would be paying for two isp’s? Does BT or another do a backup-only service that would be cheaper. I suspect Virgin’s business service would cost a fortune. And frankly I’m very reluctant to give them any more money.
0 Kudos