Menu
Shari
Joining in
Message 1 of 12
Flag for a moderator

oVery slow broadband

Hi, I came on and had a look about posts regarding this but then I signed up to join in and can't find thread again. Someone had replied showing how to go in and change your devices to 5g and change passwords etc. I did all that and I used speedtest.net to check. I have vivid 100 and tbh there has only been a slight improvement from the 50 at times. I was hoping to improve to use my mobile upstairs but mainly my firestick in living room directly across hall from study where the hub is.

It is a one person household and my hub sits on desk in downstairs study.

So before I did the password change and 2g 5g thing I was getting the results of

Desktop PC  DL 108 UL 6.9, now on both 2 or 5G I am getting DL of around 10 and UL 4-5. How is this even possible?

My mobile before in living room near where firestick is prev got DL of 39 and now 47 but upstairs in bedroom its gone from 17 to 5!

I am not a technical person at all, don't know any of the jargon but try to just follow instructions. I am on here to hopefully try get some good advice and improve things and not have to phone VM. I am not good on the phone and I find phoning them stressful. Anytime I mention how poor the speed is upstairs i just get told to look for tips online. Upstairs doesn't bother me too much as I can use my mobile data and I don't have a tv upstairs but I'd really like to be able to use my firestick with no problems. I know feel I am buying for something but its really not good enough. HELP!

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Re: oVery slow broadband

First thing is that if you want to go back to the settings you had before (where the speeds were better) then simply pinhole reset the Hub back to factory settings.  That will also restore the passwords to those printed on the Hub's sticker

--------------------
Services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
Shari
Joining in
Message 3 of 12
Flag for a moderator

The seems ridiculous tbh and I just tried again and got 55? Plus the pc was still running ok at 10, maybe not reading right or something. The main problem is the other rooms. They say could be a big house, thick walls, its a 4 bed house but no mansion and it's only me so not as if lots of devices using the wifi. I just want to be able to use firestick well in living room and if I could use it upstairs on laptop that be a bonus. Advice for this?

0 Kudos
griffin
Alessandro Volta
Message 4 of 12
Flag for a moderator

First of all, it is not the Hub that decides what network to connect to, it is your wireless clients, so your PC will either connect to the 2.4GHz or 5GHz network.

Separating the 2.4GHz and 5GHz network will not make a difference to speed, so no idea why resetting the Hub will help.

The first thing to do would be to test the actual speed being received at the Hub by connecting a ethernet cable from the PC to the Hub and doing a speedtest through www.speedtest.net. This will check that everything is OK with the VM side of the connection. I would also disconnect the PC from the wireless network during the test.

To change the wireless settings you just need to log in to the Hub's GUI using http://192.168.0.1
Depending on which Hub you have, the wireless settings would be under Advanced Settings \ Wireless, explore the GUI and you will find the settings.

Poor wireless upstairs is a common problem, especially with the budget entry level Hubs as wireless is not as strong in the vertical direction (Think Doughnut). The signal strength can be furthered hampered by interference from neighbouring  wireless networks and domestic appliances.

You can try and optimise your wireless signal.

First of all, I would ensure the Hub is placed in a central, open position, away from obstacles and electrical devices.

You could try changing the wireless channel manually. Downloading a wireless scanner like InSSIDer for Windows or WiFiAnalyser for Android would help by showing you the surrounding wireless networks, the channels they are broadcasting on, and their signal strengths, so you can select the best wireless channel.
Bear in mind that the wifi scanner will not show interference from other sources of wireless interference such as A\V streaming devices, Baby monitors, Older chordless phones, Microwave ovens, Plasma TVs, Security systems, etc.

Setting the Hub's radio setting to 300Mbps (or 40Mhz channel) is not advised on the 2.4GHz band as it takes up over half of the available spectrum, making it prone to wireless interference..

Using the wider, usually less congested 5Ghz band could help, if your client devices support it, but does not have the range of the 2.4Ghz band

If the wireless signal has been optimised and the signal upstairs is still weak, then additional hardware would be required to boost the signal.

A few ways to do this,
A decent third party router with the Hub in modem mode. Whilst this would give a better overall wireless coverage, how well it will work will depend on your wireless environment.
A wireless Access Point upstairs. The main disadvantage of this would be that you will need to wire the WAP back to the Hub.
Powerline Adapters. Work well for most people but speeds are affected by any noise on your electrical mains and may not work with older consumer boards

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Alessandro Volta
Message 5 of 12
Flag for a moderator

@griffin wrote:

Separating the 2.4GHz and 5GHz network will not make a difference to speed, so no idea why resetting the Hub will help.

Maybe it wouldn't - which is the point of doing it.  One of the first things I was taught in, problem solving by scientific experimentation, is to change one variable at a time and see what happens.  If the situation becomes worse than before then reset it to how it was previously.  If the situation returns to how it was previously then you at least you are no worse off and can explore other variables.  In this case the situation didn't revert back to what was an improved position.  So in essence you were correct, its just that I like to do the experiment and gather the data first  Smiley Happy

--------------------
Services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
Shari
Joining in
Message 6 of 12
Flag for a moderator

See the the first post I seen where it said to do the 2 and 5 thing and go to to 192. address the person done it and improved so I thought go with that. Then you come on with something diff and it fries my head. I am so bad with all this. So with all I have done I can connect my PC to either 2 or 5G I have no idea what it was on before. Same with my mobile I can conncect to 2 or 5 but you are saying it makes no difference connecting them? I can't find a ethernet cable and I am thinking I may have finally chucked all the ones I had lying about for year - damn! I get that upstairs will be worse but if I am upstairs then there is no one using anything downstairs and its just me in the house seems a bit much to have such a poor speed.

I will try get thru this step first before even trying to understand the changing channels stuff. Thanks so much for all help tho.

0 Kudos
griffin
Alessandro Volta
Message 7 of 12
Flag for a moderator

With apologies to the OP.

@jbrennand wrote:
@griffin wrote:

Maybe it wouldn't - which is the point of doing it.  One of the first things I was taught in, problem solving by scientific experimentation, is to change one variable at a time and see what happens.  If the situation becomes worse than before then reset it to how it was previously.  If the situation returns to how it was previously then you at least you are no worse off and can explore other variables.  In this case the situation didn't revert back to what was an improved position.  So in essence you were correct, its just that I like to do the experiment and gather the data first  Smiley Happy

No, that is just blind guesswork without any logical technical reasoning as in theory, separating the two bands will not make a difference.

To diagnose a problem, you need to follow a diagnostic path based on logic and a basic understanding of the problem and a rudimentary knowledge on how wireless works. Changing random variables wily nilly to see what happens is just a waste of time as without a basic understanding of the problem you will just end up going around in circles.

You should be changing variables to test if a certain condition is affecting the connection, not to see what happens, you should know the possible outcomes of changing a certain variable, so you can then rule out particular faults.

Yes. change one variable at a time, but in logical sequence based on a diagnostic path.
I have no idea why you want to do a Factory Reset to change the wireless settings, it is quicker and far easier to do it through the Hub's GUI.
Doing a FR will reset the setting back to their default settings, not the settings the OP had before.
A FR will help though if there is a software corruption in the Hub which can happen, but there are far more common causes of slow wireless speeds that need to be explored first

0 Kudos
griffin
Alessandro Volta
Message 8 of 12
Flag for a moderator

@Shari wrote:

See the the first post I seen where it said to do the 2 and 5 thing and go to to 192. address the person done it and improved so I thought go with that. Then you come on with something diff and it fries my head. I am so bad with all this. So with all I have done I can connect my PC to either 2 or 5G I have no idea what it was on before. Same with my mobile I can conncect to 2 or 5 but you are saying it makes no difference connecting them? I can't find a ethernet cable and I am thinking I may have finally chucked all the ones I had lying about for year - damn! I get that upstairs will be worse but if I am upstairs then there is no one using anything downstairs and its just me in the house seems a bit much to have such a poor speed.

I will try get thru this step first before even trying to understand the changing channels stuff. Thanks so much for all help tho.

The main takeaway point is that the Hub broadcasts the two bands (2.4 GHz and 5 GHZ) simultaneously and it is up to you to select the band you want to connect to.

The two bands have different characteristics, the 2.4GHz band is narrow and prone to interference, the 5GHz band is wider and less prone to interference but has a shorter range. Being less congested the 5GHz band usually produces the fastest speeds, especially if you have got wireless clients that can use the 5GHz only Wireless AC standard.

However, things can get confusing with VM naming the two bands the same by default. (same SSID).
In this scenario wireless clients will usually automatically connect to the band with the strongest signal, which is the band with the longest range. The ability to connect automatically to either band is known as wireless roaming.

The same scenario can happen if you have the both bands set to connect automatically on your devices, the device will connect to the band with the strongest signal, even if the bands have different SSIDs.

So when booting up your PC it is perfectly feasible to get 10Mbps or 100Mbps depending on which band you are connected to. For devices near the Hub I would check the wireless settings on the PC and disable the connect automatically on the 2.4GHz band.

You may not be the only one using the wireless as wireless channels are effectively shared by every wireless network in range of your Hub. If the Hub )or client) senses another network on the same channel it will back off transmission until the channel is clear. I wouldn't worry too much about this now, but it will affect your channel choice when to work up to it.

Seph has a good sticky at the top of the board explaining wireless signal strength and there are some good articles here

I know this may sound complex but that is the nature of wireless, a lot of variables, stay with it, it will soon make sense.

It is a shame you chucked the ethernet cable out as they are essential if you want to test your connection. luckily they are fairly cheap to buy.

The first step in diagnosing the problem would be to check with a wired connection first, before sorting the wireless out.

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Alessandro Volta
Message 9 of 12
Flag for a moderator

@griffin wrote:

No, that is just blind guesswork without any logical technical reasoning as in theory, separating the two bands will not make a difference.

Which is why I suggested going back to how it was previously, to see if the difference they reported was due to that change - and it wasn't - which supports your contention.

To diagnose a problem, you need to follow a diagnostic path based on logic and a basic understanding of the problem and a rudimentary knowledge on how wireless works. Changing random variables wily nilly to see what happens is just a waste of time as without a basic understanding of the problem you will just end up going around in circles.

I have spent 35 years following diagnostic paths to help understand problems that usually havent been solved previously.  I dont advocate changing variables "willy nilly" I would select them in a perfectly logical and reasonable order (at least to me) - particularly if you start from a position of not predicting the outcome you expect - there are usually more than one path that can be followed to understand the most likely source of any problem..  And 50+ papers in peer reviewed journals testifies that I know how to do this - at least in my field of biological research - maybe wireless has different rules.

You should be changing variables to test if a certain condition is affecting the connection, not to see what happens, you should know the possible outcomes of changing a certain variable, so you can then rule out particular faults.

I don't get that - I change a variable precisely to see what happens - in the absence of being restricted by "knowing the possible outcomes" - that's how you uncover unexpected outcomes.  Then reset it and see if reverts back.

Yes. change one variable at a time, but in logical sequence based on a diagnostic path.
I have no idea why you want to do a Factory Reset to change the wireless settings, it is quicker and far easier to do it through the Hub's GUI.

You may be right but does that matter ?

Doing a FR will reset the setting back to their default settings, not the settings the OP had before.

I read it as those were the settings the OP had before he changed them - perhaps not,

A FR will help though if there is a software corruption in the Hub which can happen, but there are far more common causes of slow wireless speeds that need to be explored first

Agreed 100% that's why I was trying to start with a blank sheet.

Although this is good, enjoyable and interesting scientific philosophy banter...  I am sure you will agree its better done down the pub and it isnt helping the OP sort their particular problem.  So i will leave this one to the wireless experts.  Cheers.

--------------------
0 Kudos
Moderator (Retired) Ty_S
Moderator (Retired)
Message 10 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Hi Shari  

I'm really sorry to hear of the problems you've been having with your connection. 

I've run some checks on your connection and everything looks healthy from our side.  Are you still experiencing these problems?

Are you able to test the speed via an ethernet connection? There are many things that can interfere with a wireless connection so I've included some info here which could help.

Speak soon,

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

0 Kudos