Menu
astrohominis
Dialled in
Message 1 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Large downloads usually fail

My VM 350 line is working fine except one issue. Large https/http downloads tend to get aborted "CONNECTION RESET" somewhere in the middle of the download.

If I retry the download, sometimes it gets fully downloaded, but 9/10 times it randomly stops eg maybe on 700MBout of 2GB. Next time it might get to 1.1GB. etc

I've tried mixing up the software, eg Firefox, Chrome, downloaders, wget, curl. All of them show the same behavior. Also, if I try it on like public wifi or at a friends it works fine.

For example a macOS update, or a large ISO or whatever. I'm using a Macbook Pro with a SH3 with a Netgear R7000 if that helps

Did a search and a few very old threads talking about this (circa 2012). Not saying it's definitely a VM issue, but I'm really stumped TBH. 😂

0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 2 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Re: Large downloads usually fail

Could you access your router using http://192.168.0.1/ or http://192.168.100.1 for modem mode . You shouldn't need log in, select the 'Check Router Status' option and paste your 'Downstream', 'Upstream', and 'Network Log' tabs?

We can have a look for any oddities in the stats.

0 Kudos
astrohominis
Dialled in
Message 3 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Of course. Thank you. Here's the diagnostic output

https://imgur.com/a/Z24uLL7

0 Kudos
MikeRobbo
Alessandro Volta
Message 4 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Can you set up a Broadband Quality Monitor (BQM) at thinkbroadband.com - this will give you an insight into what is happening with the signal at the other side of the Hub, it will take a few hours to get any kind of trend showing although you should post the link straight away.

Post a link to your BQM on here.

Instructions for posting BQM Link

Under your BQM graph are two links in red.

Click the lower link (Share Live Graph) then click generate.

Copy the text in the Direct Link box, beware, there may be more text than you can see.

On here click the Link icon (2 links chain to the left of the camera icon)

In the URL box paste the link you copied and in the ‘text to display’ box write My BQM then click OK - you can post the link straight away.

*********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************
BT Smart Hub 2 with 70Mbs Download,18Mbs Upload, 9.17ms Latency & 0.35ms Jitter.
0 Kudos
astrohominis
Dialled in
Message 5 of 14
Flag for a moderator

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality/share/1710b064c7ec5706c0ab66698c30e91aa1... 

Thanks Mike, here you go. Already had the thinkbroadband monitoring in place from a while back when PUMA6 issues were the fashion of the day 🙂

0 Kudos
MikeRobbo
Alessandro Volta
Message 6 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Stats and BQM are looking OK.

When a download fails do you get anything showing on the BQM ?

*********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************
BT Smart Hub 2 with 70Mbs Download,18Mbs Upload, 9.17ms Latency & 0.35ms Jitter.
0 Kudos
astrohominis
Dialled in
Message 7 of 14
Flag for a moderator

I don't notice any correlation with BQM. However, upon closer inspection, it's actually not bad today as I remember. It was really bad the other day .. IE went through a patch. Will try to think about what exogenous factors could be affecting it.

This morning, I had two failed downloads (out of 4) for the 10.15.6 macOS update.

https://updates.cdn-apple.com/2020/macos/001-36818-20200810-83639e51-9e1a-4266-806b-8dbb8b715777/mac... link. 2.9GB

Then two of the times it downloaded it was successful. I checked both of these completed files with SHA256 and both of then reported an indentical hash of e8e775567de7d5df58734bfbab5e46d292b317fd997cb2f2f2cd63dca24e838d. Both of them also passed the .dmg file verifying stage too. (I believe that uses a CRC32 check).

Previously I ran the mac update (10.15.5) about 10 times and kept failing and so decided a different route. Eventually managed to get it downloaded with a download manager that kept repeating retries (it logged dozens of retries). Also last time I had corrupted downloads too (differing hashes) even when the download manager reported success. But eventually it worked. So really my post was more of a retrospective. Today though the problem is still here, it's just not bad. Kinda like the weather 😂

0 Kudos
jhuk
Problem sorter
Message 8 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Internet aside I can tell you what caused this for me long, long ago, a dying Memory Module and it was not the 1st thing I thought about to try solved my corrupted downloads (Internet connection/HDD etc).

0 Kudos
astrohominis
Dialled in
Message 9 of 14
Flag for a moderator

@jhuk wrote:

Internet aside I can tell you what caused this for me long, long ago, a dying Memory Module and it was not the 1st thing I thought about to try solved my corrupted downloads (Internet connection/HDD etc).

Yeah, it could be hardware. However, I did various tests at the time. Tried from a Windows PC, tried from my phone. Turned of the router and used modem mode. I can't recall anything fixing the issue. Another fix I've seen people mention is to use a VPN. I guess that could work, but probably is putting bandaid on the problem.

0 Kudos
MikeRobbo
Alessandro Volta
Message 10 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Try running the Windows >> Memory Tester <<.

0 Kudos