Menu
Maths_User
Joining in
Message 1 of 12
Flag for a moderator

What is the point of a secondary user?

I was set up as a secondary user on my husband's account several years ago. What is the point? I'm beginning to feel sympathy with Victorian women. I can't even change my own email address. I need to get the main account holder to do it for me, apparently. Am I just here to serve tea and cucumber sandwiches? It's O.K., my brain won't explode. I do have a degree in IT. 

The reason I need to change the email address is that I'm trying to set up my own account, but I can't do it because the email address is already in use. So, I thought I'd change the secondary email address to a different one so that I can set up my own account with my primary email address. I'm in the position of being the bill payer, with a new contract in my name, and no access to my own account. Not acceptable.

0 Kudos
Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Re: What is the point of a secondary user?

You have described well the limitations of secondary accounts on a Virgin Media account.

However, there are a couple of things that need explaining.

First, whether a primary or secondary account once set up the actual email address cannot be changed.  Secondary accounts can be deleted by the account holder but that email address can never be used again by anyone.

You best way forward is to set up a new email address with an email provider independent of your ISP.  Once you have access to that email address you can use it as your primary username for your own Virgin Media account.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Maths_User
Joining in
Message 3 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Thank you for your reply.

My son also suggested a similar thing. However, I don't really want another email address. I won't remember to check it for messages (in the same way that I rarely check my gmail messages). As all of the emails I've received so far concerning my new contract have been sent to my primary email address, I can't see any reason why it can't be used for my online account. It is clearly linked to that account somehow. This is just making me really annoyed as it seems like such a reasonable thing to request.

0 Kudos
Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Sorry but can you clarify that.  When you took out your own VM broadband account did you get a new primary Virginmedia email address?  If so you should be using that address to access your new online account.

What you can't do is use a secondary email address from a different account as the primary username for a new account.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Learn more

0 Kudos
apcyberax
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Also remember your email address doesn't belong to you. Its part of the primary users account.

If they cancel services you will lose that email address. 

So the advice to setup one not connected to any ISP is the best advice here.

0 Kudos
Maths_User
Joining in
Message 6 of 12
Flag for a moderator

I'm still the secondary user on the existing account until it ceases to exist in a few days. I don't have a virginmedia email address as I've never needed one. My primary email address is with another provider. When the existing contract expires, I will be switching to a new contract which has been set up in my name, and VM have been emailing me on my primary email address about this new contract. So, they clearly have linked my email address to the new account on their records. As part of the set up procedure, I need to set up a new VM account so that I can manage my account details myself. As far as I know, I won't be allocated a VM email address until I can set up the new account anyway. The new contract comes with a sim card, and it is easiest to port over an existing mobile phone number via the online account. But I can't set one up due to this strange anomaly with the email addresses. I hope that explains things a bit. I know it sounds complicated, but I'm sure I'm not the only person who has had to do this.

0 Kudos
apcyberax
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 7 of 12
Flag for a moderator

no they have only used the current email address as a contact email.

If the account your email address was registered with has been or is being cancelled you lose your email address 90 days after the account cancels
0 Kudos
Maths_User
Joining in
Message 8 of 12
Flag for a moderator

But it isn't a VM email address. It is with an entirely different provider and I've been using it for a long time (certainly before it was linked to the VM account). I don't think they can cancel my email account as it is nothing to do with them.

0 Kudos
apcyberax
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 9 of 12
Flag for a moderator

oh that wasn't clear. you made it sound like you had a secondary VM account.

I didn't know you could use 3rd party emails as secondary accounts.

if you can you will need to get the account holder to delete it
0 Kudos
Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 10 of 12
Flag for a moderator

@Maths_User wrote:

I'm still the secondary user on the existing account until it ceases to exist in a few days. I don't have a virginmedia email address as I've never needed one. My primary email address is with another provider. When the existing contract expires, I will be switching to a new contract which has been set up in my name, and VM have been emailing me on my primary email address about this new contract. So, they clearly have linked my email address to the new account on their records. As part of the set up procedure, I need to set up a new VM account so that I can manage my account details myself. As far as I know, I won't be allocated a VM email address until I can set up the new account anyway. The new contract comes with a sim card, and it is easiest to port over an existing mobile phone number via the online account. But I can't set one up due to this strange anomaly with the email addresses. I hope that explains things a bit. I know it sounds complicated, but I'm sure I'm not the only person who has had to do this.

Once your new account is up and running you should be able to set your third party email address as the primary username for your new Virgin Media account.

0 Kudos