Menu
susiesue999
Joining in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Need to connect to work VPN netowrk from home and it keeps coming up with error messages

Hi. How do I bypass the firewalls to allow my virgin media superhub to connect to my work hub. My IT team at work say its virgin media and there is nothong they can do, virgin media have to fix it. 

I have the IP address of the VPN if you need it

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: Need to connect to work VPN netowrk from home and it keeps coming up with error messages

put the hub into modem mode and use your own router for better support and quality. VM do not block VPNs

0 Kudos
Sololobo
Community elder
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: Need to connect to work VPN netowrk from home and it keeps coming up with error messages

Disable VM Websafe and see if you can then connect to your vpn. 

You can change your settings at any time. Sign into your My Virgin Media account and go to My Apps. Select Web Safe where you will be able to manage your parental control settings.

While you're at it, switch off VM's ANES (Advanced Network Error Search) as well.

If you’re having any issues with Advanced Network Error Search, or you have your own search provider, you can ask for the service to be turned off. Once it’s turned off, you won’t see any Virgin Media search results for mistyped website addresses.

To turn off Advanced Network Error Search, visit my.virginmedia.com/advancederrorsearch/

It's What I Do.
I Drink and I
Remember Things.
0 Kudos
susiesue999
Joining in
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Thank you for your reply but I have no idea how to switch my hub onto modem mode and I don'r have my own router just the VM superhub.

0 Kudos
susiesue999
Joining in
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi,

Thanks for your message. I've done the things you've suggested and I still can't connect to my work VPN.

Sue

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Did your office IT team give a reason why the VPN service will not work with Virgin Media?

Who provides the VPN service?

What, if any, error / warning message is shown when you try to connect to your VPN service?

0 Kudos
shanematthews
Problem sorter
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

@用心棒 wrote:

Did your office IT team give a reason why the VPN service will not work with Virgin Media?

Who provides the VPN service?

What, if any, error / warning message is shown when you try to connect to your VPN service?

If its for work its likely provided by them, probably RRAS or something similar, VM don't block these sorts of connections but the residential hubs aren't exactly built for that sort of use anyway so a 3rd party router is likely about the only solution to get this done properly, be aware that VM also will not compensate you for any issues that result with loss of earnings as residential services are not meant to be used to work from home, for that you would want a VM business package

0 Kudos
Sololobo
Community elder
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

According to VM's Acceptable Use Policy https://www.virginmedia.com/shop/the-legal-stuff/acceptable-use-policy.html Section 5.2.4

trade or business use of our services, except for  remote access to your employer’s corporate network (and remember in any case that we are not liable for any loss occurring as a result of such use), unless you subscribe to a a product that is specifically stated as a business product. If you are a residential customer and you wish to use our services for trade or business use, go to https://www.virginmediabusiness.co.uk/ for more information;

It therefore is acceptable to use the domestic service for remote access, with the proviso noted above.

It's What I Do.
I Drink and I
Remember Things.
0 Kudos