Menu
Marksmith1966
Joining in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Malware letter

Keep getting letters about malware on my system scanned everything but all clean ? Seen on here that virgin media can’t tell what device is affected but can see the IP address if they send a letter with the IP address then I could see what was causing it only started when the hub 3 stopped working as a modem and would just turn off randomly now it will only work on WiFi setting not happy with that but that’s another problem I need to sort at some point 

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: Malware letter

The trusted third party that alerted Virgin Media to the malware issue will only have your public IP address and that will not help to locate the possible source of the notification within your home network. FYI, Network Address Translation — One to many NAT

Did the letter identify the malware?

0 Kudos
Marksmith1966
Joining in
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Yes but not the IP address 

0 Kudos
Marksmith1966
Joining in
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

I only have iPhones and a dvr on my system 

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Quickest method to find your public IP address by search for IP in your favoured search engine, for example in DuckDuckGo

Use your favoured search engine to locate information about the malware and from there eliminate possible source, for example if the malware target operating system is Windows only.

0 Kudos