Menu
allen-uk
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Email recovery addresses

I suspect I know the answer, but can you set up email recovery addresses on Virgin? I've been using Yahoo lately, and find their levels of security impressive, including the simple email recovery address.

If I'm not looking in the right place, perhaps someone can point me there.

Ta.

Allen

0 Kudos
coenoby
Knows their stuff
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Re: Email recovery addresses

@allen-uk wrote:

I suspect I know the answer,

And I suspect that you are right. Smiley Wink

Virgin email is a very basic service and it does not have the security features found in many, if not most, dedicated email services such as Gmail, Yahoo etc.

So the answer is there is no email recovery address option in VM. The VM password recovery process  is set out here https://www.virginmedia.com/help/virgin-media-reset-username-and-password

I have been a customer of VM and its various predecessors for many years but I have never used their email as my main email service. With all the superior alternative email services available these days I am always amazed that most VM customers seem to rely on the basic email service that comes with their broadband package. The excuse always seems to be that it is too much hassle too change!Smiley Sad

Coenoby

I am just another Virgin Media customer.
If someone posts a useful reply you can say thanks by clicking on the thumbs up sign in their post.
If someone posts a message that solves your problem it helps everyone if you mark their post as a Helpful Answer
allen-uk
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Thanks coenoby,

I was coming to the same conclusion, but just checking. Setting up new emails used to be harder on my Mac, but nowadays (particularly with the big ones like Yahoo) it is dead simple, so no longer any excuse for not switching.

All this was prompted by a couple of (PC) friends having their address books hacked, so I thought it was time to tighten up email security.

So I'm off to get on with it.

Thanks again for your input.

Allen.

Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 10
Flag for a moderator

I wonder if Yahoo's new found enthusiasm for increased e-mail security is related to this:

https://www.cultofmac.com/458345/yahoo-confirms-over-1-billion-user-accounts-have-been-hacked/

they weren't always on the side of the angels, by any means.

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

0 Kudos
Tudor
Hero
Message 5 of 10
Flag for a moderator

If you have a Mac then you get a free email service from Apple. Why not try it out?

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2
0 Kudos
allen-uk
On our wavelength
Message 6 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Maybe it's me (likely) but I thought my Mac Mail was just a (don't know the right word) carrier for my emails, i.e. not a mail provider. I use VM, Yahoo, GMX, as providers.

Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Allen.

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 7 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Read this:

Apple is an ESP as well.

https://support.apple.com/kb/ph2618?locale=en_US

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Use Kudos to say thanks

allen-uk
On our wavelength
Message 8 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Ah, icloud. Never had much truck with so-called cloud-based services. Never been keen on my data or even programs being located in some foreign parts (I know, but old age plays its part!)

But thanks for pointing icloud mail out to me. Does it score well on the security scale?

Allen

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 9 of 10
Flag for a moderator

I have no idea about the security of icloud, but you are being naive if you think that your current e-mail providers have nothing to do with the cloud. All of them store, manage and process your mail in the cloud because they use servers over which they, but not you, have control. All web mail is cloud based.

Use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
allen-uk
On our wavelength
Message 10 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Fair comment, but I (like most I would have thought) don't use email to hold/store anything much, apart from day-to-day messages, maybe message archives, and the like. The archived emails are on my hard drive; whether they're also on some mainframe elsewhere I don't know.

Data proper (correspondence and similar) is on my hard drive(s).

My original question on this thread was prompted by friends' address lists getting hacked - through, apparently, leaky emails, or rather them inadvisedly clicking on rubbish coming in to their emails - and I was just attempting to tighten up my own email systems - VM's seems poor in that regard, Yahoo seems better, but I note the link above detailing their various hacking problems.

Allen

0 Kudos