Menu
RedGooner
Knows their stuff
Message 11 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Re: Wifi Signal

I have had a Asus RT-N66U since 2012, this was rock solid, until last month. So I went and got an ASUS RT-AC5300.

I got mine from that well known online store that sells everything from A to Z.

--
Red (VM SH2 AC Beta tester)
Running on 350Mb VM service with SH3 in Modem Mode, with a ASUS RT-AC5300 router. With this setup I get Fantastic WIRED and WIRELESS Signals in my home. I dont work for VM. But I work in IT, and I know my tech.
My advice is at your own risk.
Springer1
Dialled in
Message 12 of 17
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

I had a nice big fat Humerous reply, but just got wiped out before I posted it,  due to NAFF ALL SIGNAL AGAIN., thought my hub3 issue was solved, naff all input from vm to achieve this improvement. !!!! Really fed up now, with vm, has been fine for over a week, only wanting browsing and sonos music, really losing my patience now with this vm stuff.

That router that you quote Red is a real big un, have you any recommendation on how much i need to spend to get wifi to the back of a 30s house, RELIABLY. ...........DO I NEED TO GO TO ANOTHER ISP, no guarantee required from you. lol.

As vm say " we don't guarantee wifi performance" LOL well I would expect it to work reliably is that not a fair expectation.??

Please note I have not moved or changed  my fridge, changed light bulbs or changed or moved my cooker, this last week, things that the VIRGIN ENGINEER said could affect my wifi LOL

0 Kudos
Lazola73
Tuning in
Message 13 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Springer1 I get your frustration...I'm thinking along those lines...may get the provider you proclaims to have a 500m range out and not let them leave till it' sorted...work out cheaper in the long run

0 Kudos
griffin
Alessandro Volta
Message 14 of 17
Flag for a moderator

@Springer1wrote:

I had a nice big fat Humerous reply, but just got wiped out before I posted it,  due to NAFF ALL SIGNAL AGAIN., thought my hub3 issue was solved, naff all input from vm to achieve this improvement. !!!! Really fed up now, with vm, has been fine for over a week, only wanting browsing and sonos music, really losing my patience now with this vm stuff.

That router that you quote Red is a real big un, have you any recommendation on how much i need to spend to get wifi to the back of a 30s house, RELIABLY. ...........DO I NEED TO GO TO ANOTHER ISP, no guarantee required from you. lol.

No ISP will guarantee wireless reception as it is affected by many external factors outside any ISP's control.

As vm say " we don't guarantee wifi performance" LOL well I would expect it to work reliably is that not a fair expectation.??

It depends on your wireless environment, wireless interference is a significant problem globally. In BT's HH6 validation tests the Hub 3 didn't perform that badly (for a cheap ISP router), but I can see it struggling in challenging wireless environments.

At the end of the day you get what you pay for, a decent third party wireless router will outperform VM's and probably every other ISP's stock routers.

Please note I have not moved or changed  my fridge, changed light bulbs or changed or moved my cooker, this last week, things that the VIRGIN ENGINEER said could affect my wifi LOL

Malfunctioning electric motors like washing machines and fridges can emit EMI, so can fluorescent lighting that can interfere with wireless signals. possibly unlikely but needs consideration seeing how many sources of EMI there is out there.

0 Kudos
griffin
Alessandro Volta
Message 15 of 17
Flag for a moderator

@Lazola73wrote:

Springer1 I get your frustration...I'm thinking along those lines...may get the provider you proclaims to have a 500m range out and not let them leave till it' sorted...work out cheaper in the long run

Claims, and reality are quite different.

It is possible to have a range of 500m at 2.4Ghz with any Router that can output 20dBm at MCS 7 (just) but there are some pretty big provisos. 

You will need a clear line of sight.

There has to be no interference whatsoever.

I have no idea what power the HH6 puts out (the specs are hard to find even on the Broadcom site), but 20dBm would be near the practical legal maximum at MCS 7.

Springer1
Dialled in
Message 16 of 17
Flag for a moderator

" Hub 3 didn't perform that badly (for a cheap ISP router)

Thank you for the replies, I think the above says it then, I have a cheap router, with limited output and a gremlin somewhere in the house that sometimes raises ts head.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Kieransearl
Tuning in
Message 17 of 17
Flag for a moderator

B

@Lazola73 wrote:

Why do we lose wifi signal as soon as we step outside the back door...my son is moving into a outhouse approx. 10-15metre from the house and currently can not get a signal....obviously with all his gadgets he needs wifi..We currently have a hub2, I think, and virgin say upgrading to a Hub 3 will resolve this.......Help

BT Infinity claims to have a 500m range...is this possible...may have to switch

0 Kudos