Menu
n515
Joining in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Want to move tivo box and router to other side of room

Hi, first time post Smiley Happy

Had my Tivo box and router installed 2 months ago. I want to move them to the opposite side of the room. However, I don't want the cables showing from the white box going all the way to the other side of the room - also got fireplace in the way and don't think the cable is long enough to route all the way around and reach the other side of the room.

Any suggestions on how to best do this would be appreciated.

The only way I can see to do this is to have Virgin install a separate brown box outside and white cable box inside where I would like to have the router and Tivo box.

I don't know if there are any charges for this and whether the brown & white boxes installed first will be removed - even though i'd like to keep them incase I move furniture around in future.

Any suggestions would be welcome. I'm based in East Midlands if anyone is around the area and wants to talk in person.

Thanks and Merry Xmas in advance Smiley Happy 

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Wise owl
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: Want to move tivo box and router to other side of room

VM will sort this for you and the charge will be £99.

--------------------
Services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes, Superhub2 with VIVID 200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
n515
Joining in
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the info.

Does Virgin install a new brown box or just move the existing one?

I'd like to keep the existing brown box where it is so i have the flexibility to reposition tv / furniture in the future.

Also what happens with the cable that is currently pulled from the road to the existing brown box?

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Wise owl
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

@n515 wrote:

Thanks for the info.

Does Virgin install a new brown box or just move the existing one?

I'd like to keep the existing brown box where it is so i have the flexibility to reposition tv / furniture in the future.

Also what happens with the cable that is currently pulled from the road to the existing brown box?

When my changes were done....  There is still the original external brown box, nothing changed on the cable buried outside serving it.  The first VM tv was in the room right by the box so they drilled through and fitted a wall box.  I wanted my Hub in a different room - with a second TV box.  They ran (very neatly) fresh black cable around the external walls of my house and drilled through and fitted a second wall box.  There is a splitter there to supply both the Hub and second TV box.  Ours is a 3 bed semi so was very easy to do.  Obviously this could be more difficult - for example - if you are in the middle property of a terraced row.   In that case they used to run cable from the brown box over the roof to the back of the property - I am not sure that they can still do that these days1  They can also put a splitter on your original internal wall box and run the coax cable internally to your preference (assuming it's reasonable of course!).

--------------------
Services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes, Superhub2 with VIVID 200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.