Menu
LisaRaz
Tuning in
Message 1 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Telewest box

Hi I have just moved back into my home and have settled on getting virgin media. When they phoned they said my home was already set up for broadband and TV however I can't find a virgin box anywhere only a very random telewest broadband box in the middle of my upstairs bedroom wall no where near a plug socket. I have my quick set up arriving on Monday I don't know what to do and I really need Internet to work as I'm working from home atm. Only have till Tuesday off. 

0 Kudos
Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Re: Telewest box

That's the one.  If you need it moved, do it now and request an engineer install.  Otherwise it's a £99 fee to move it later.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
LisaRaz
Tuning in
Message 3 of 11
Flag for a moderator

How would I request an engineer 

0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 4 of 11
Flag for a moderator

@LisaRaz wrote:

Hi I have just moved back into my home and have settled on getting virgin media. When they phoned they said my home was already set up for broadband and TV however I can't find a virgin box anywhere only a very random telewest broadband box in the middle of my upstairs bedroom wall no where near a plug socket. I have my quick set up arriving on Monday I don't know what to do and I really need Internet to work as I'm working from home atm. Only have till Tuesday off. 

Could you take a picture of the box you have?

0 Kudos
LisaRaz
Tuning in
Message 5 of 11
Flag for a moderator

I have attached one ill try again 

20210206_131126.jpg

0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 6 of 11
Flag for a moderator

@LisaRaz wrote:

I have attached one ill try again 

20210206_131126.jpg

Certainly looks like the correct box (I have the same one), however someone has cut the cable rather than unscrew it!

This part of the cable will need removing before you can plug the HUB in.

For the time being I would suggest running an extension lead from the nearest power point.

It's a bit hit and miss for engineer visits due to COVID.

0 Kudos
LisaRaz
Tuning in
Message 7 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Does this mean the Internet hub will be upstairs but the TV downstairs?

It says they need to be no more than 3 meters apart 

0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 8 of 11
Flag for a moderator

@LisaRaz wrote:

Does this mean the Internet hub will be upstairs but the TV downstairs?

It says they need to be no more than 3 meters apart 

If you are getting a TIVO box then this will also need a connection to the Telewest box, so you would need an engineer visit to run all the necessary cabling (The HUB and TIVO box would have their own cable connected to a main cable using a splitter, to the telewest box).

I'm talking about a temp solution to get your broadband only working for work.

0 Kudos
-tony-
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 9 of 11
Flag for a moderator

quick start usually come with a 1metre cable that you connect there after unscrewing whats left of the cable - they do a 3metre one and someone mentioned a longer one - 15metere i think but that does not sound right and would probarbly cause signal issues

if the 3 metre would would be better ring and see if they will send one - have you looked downstairs - it could just be a cable sticking out of the wall

start outside and look for the external wall box - 6" square ish usually on wall facing road or pavement - brown or grey usually - follow any cables that come from it and go inside there must be one going to the box you have found - if there are no more look inside opposite external box as they may just have drilled through wall - as said it may just be a cable rather than an internal wall box

if you do find a cable downstairs then you would need one of these

https://www.diy.com/departments/tristar-data-cable-coupler/571706_BQ.prd

Tony
0 Kudos
LisaRaz
Tuning in
Message 10 of 11
Flag for a moderator

I found the box outside and it just had the cable for the box upstairs. It's very odd

0 Kudos