Menu
Almus
Joining in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Relocating Virgin Cable from neighbour’s property

Hello,

I’m currently renting a flat, and apparently the previous tenant installed a Virgin connection, the cable for which runs along the wall of my neighbour’s property (and maybe the box too...I’m not sure on the technical side). I’m uncertain whether this was correct procedure on the engineer’s part; at the time, the neighbour’s house was in a state of disrepair and was vacant.  Anyway, I now have new neighbours who have completely renovated the house and they’re now kicking up a fuss to my landlady about my cable/box being on their property. Without my consultation, the landlady has given me a one month deadline to relocate the cable from the neighbour’s property to my current one or my connection will be cut. As you can imagine, I’m rather annoyed by this, given the lack of certainty over whether this is possible, in addition to potential charges this will incur. 

Any help from a Virgin employee as to the feasibility of moving the cable would be appreciated. 

Many thanks,

Alasdair 

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: Relocating Virgin Cable from neighbour’s property

Are you actually the VM "account holder" or is that your landlord ?  I would suggest as a first step, the account holder (they will only discuss issues with them) tries calling “Retentions” on 150 or 0345 454 1111 - options 1-1-4-5 "thinking of leaving" then “technical issues” – (They are open Monday - Friday 8am - 8pm and on Saturday from 8am - 6pm. - 08.01 is best!) you have a better chance of getting a UK call centre (it might still be a 30’+ wait though) the agent will be more understanding and helpful.  Explain the problem to them and see what they say.

--------------------
Services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
Almus
Joining in
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Thanks. Yes, I am the current account holder. I renewed my contract around 45 days ago, and I fear that I’ll have to shell out an exorbitant cancellation fee if the cable can’t be moved.

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Alessandro Volta
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

@Almus wrote:

Thanks. Yes, I am the current account holder. I renewed my contract around 45 days ago, and I fear that I’ll have to shell out an exorbitant cancellation fee if the cable can’t be moved.

I wouldn't be too worried.  I am by no means an expert, but there are plenty on here who are and should comment on here soon.  But, installing VM cabling to housing/flats follows a quite complicated legal procedure.  It necessitates getting permission from councils, landlords etc and a "Wayleave" process that means that once installed it cannot be removed  (like a utility - water, leccy, etc) and it remains in situ after the present tenant/owner moves out - remaining as a service for the next occupant.  So although this "might" not be what happened with your installation, I would expect that that process was followed and all necessary permissions to run cabling as it is now were obtained at the time. If the situation has changed legally I think it will be down to VM to sort that out at their cost in order to maintain your (and others') service.  If that service cant be continued to be provided then its VM who have effectively cancelled your contract and you cant be liable for any exit costs.

--------------------
Services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
Roger_Gooner
Community elder
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Your landlady cannot dictate when your connection will be cut unless she cuts the cable and will then be in trouble for tampering with VM's property. Come to think of it you could sue her for loss of service.

There may be a grey area whereby VM ran your cable on your neighbour's property without getting permission, but to what extent is VM forced to take corrective action I couldn't say.

--
Hub 3.0, TP-Link Archer C8, TP-Link TL-SG1008D 8-port gigabit switch, V6
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM Broadband Connection
0 Kudos
Almus
Joining in
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

The situation is more complicated because the Virgin connection was originally set up by the previous tenant without the landlady’s permission (all other flats use Sky). However, she authorised me to use the existing Virgin connection when I signed the tenancy contract, given that it was there ready to use. Anyway, I hope I can sort this out easily without going down the legal route. 

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi Almus, 

Welcome to the community forums, I am sorry to hear about this, I am going to send you a private message. If you can please reply to that we can get the ball rolling 🙂

Thanks Joe_F

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Posting so I get auto subbed as this one is going to be interesting.

Personally as other have said about VM need to get wayleave etc to install the cable. And being that your landlord agreed in the tenancy that you can use VM then they can’t break that themselves. Those agreements work to protect you both once in place.

Now whether the cable ‘accidentally’ gets damaged after the month would be what I’m interested in.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
All posts made are personal opinions as I do not work for VirginMedia.
Kudo's a post if you find it useful and want to say thanks
Mark a post as a helpful answer if it answers your question

0 Kudos